I unistall brave without to copy recovery files!

Hi, I unistall my desktop brave browser but I forgot to copy Data files for recovery.
I recover bookmarks file with recovery programm but it didn’t work for passwords.
my main question is about web sites, I did some technical analysis on websites like TradingView & Binanace (wihout log in) and whenever I re-open these sites my analysis be there… Which file in the old BraveBrowser folder should be recovered to these chart analysis come back?

The cookie file. @289wk He might be able to tell you the actual file name or just google it. It will be same as gopgle chrome.

I would suggest using the brave sync chain brave://sync

1 Like

@arminmo ,

Notes re Brave Browser recovery of some data on Windows OS machines

Depending upon the element / item in a web page, some record of that might be within one or more files.

In addition, depending upon some of your Internet browser settings, firewall settings, security policies . . . combined with whatever tactics and strategies are of the website web servers, there will more records:

• some inside your Internet browser profile
  • some outside your Internet browser directories
  • some at the website web servers AND probably various of their “3rd parties”

Plus, some associations between what is on your computer and the Windows Registry. Some are probably, potential snags.

Ideally, everybody using an Internet browser, would back up every day whatever is the user data primary directory: the BraveSoftware folder in the following path:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\<your_profile_folder>\

Abbreviated path explanation:

%LOCALAPPDATA% being akin to “C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local” (no quotes)

Good way to back up the BraveSoftware folder, is with applications WinZip or 7-Zip. Compress the BraveSoftware folder, give the resulting .zip file a name that includes the date and time; example:

“20220401-1530_Friday_BBSoftwareFldr_bkup.zip”

Leave a copy on your Windows OS machine; and, copy that file over to an attached, external hard drive. Those 2 copies, being the minimum effort.

Attempt to recover / restore your Brave Browser usage

Now, somewhere I read recently at the Brave Community, that Brave developers/support, have taken some steps to improve the possiblity of success, with:

(1) You need to recover / restore your Brave Browser usage.

(2) Exit/Quit Brave Browser and uninstall Brave Browser.

(3) Log out . . . wait . . . Log in.

(4) Install a fresh, latest version of Brave Browser.

Now come the following steps. Either do (5) and then (6) or skip (5) and proceed to (6) [I have no opportunity to test, which course is better – and I would probably skip (5), for my first test run].

(5) Start Brave Browser . . . wait . . . Exit/Quit Brave Browser.

(6) Replace the new, fresh BraveSoftware folder with the backup copy of your choice, from your backup collection.

(7) Start Brave Browser.

(You could also TEST, by only replacing the “Default” folder – out with the new, replaced by the old from backup.)

Some members of the Brave Community have reported success.

BACK UP YOUR DATA

In addition, I believe that Bookmarks should routinely be exported, and thus handy. And, Passwords should be saved in a password wallet application (1Password, BitWarden, KeePass, LastPass have been recommended), whether or not using an Internet browser’s built-in password manager.

For backup software, I usually suggest GoodSync. GoodSync can also backup Android devices.

Location of some files and folders

Local State (file - note that it is NOT within the profile “Default” folder) contains MANY items re, what is/was the latest state of Brave Browser:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Local State

Ads Service (folder):

%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\ads_service\

Bookmarks and Bookmarks.bak files:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\Bookmarks
%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\Bookmarks.bak

Caches (folder):

%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\Cache\

Cookies (file):

%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\Cookies

Extensions (folder):

%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\Extensions\

File System (folder) - can grow to be LARGE and require attention:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\File System\

History (file - usually lots of data):

%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\History

Preferences (file) is similar to the “Local State” file, loaded with info:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\Preferences

Web Data (file):

%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\Web Data

You can backup up your search engines (records within that “Web Data” file):

Backup of Search Engines - #4 by maxwow

Recovering some info from encrypted .ldb (leveldb) files:

Brave has wiped my metamask wallet saying it was corrupted and now I can not access the certain adress that has all my tokens! - #16 by Crypto21

Article: “Chrome cleared ldb (LevelDB/IndexedDB) files after a restart losing all the suspended sessions #1134

https://github.com/greatsuspender/thegreatsuspender/issues/1134

Every day that you use a Windows OS machine, Create a new System Restore Point. Give that Restore Point, a name showing the date and time.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.