I really wanted to like Brave

I really wanted to like Brave browser, but the more I use it, the more annoyed I get. And then I go to the community page for help, but the topics and their descriptions are not very helpful. And there is no rhyme or reason to how the tags are organized. But my real annoyance is with the settings. They are so un-intuitive as you have to try really hard to find what you are looking for. Among the buried settings is that for pdf handling. Well, basically you have no control over pdfs. It either opens a “save as” dialogue or opens it in Brave. What happened to letting users decide what happens with files they are opening. Like opening a pdf in Acrobat? That is what I like about Firefox. I can set the behavior for any kind of file type. The “community” is not the answer for tech support either. I would actually pay for actual tech support. I tried using “community”, but as helpful as the community would like to be, they usually do not have a clue as to how to fix a problem. They may occasionally come up with an interesting work around, but generally are not expert at how the browser functions and frequently offer clueless fixes or have no concept of what the problem really is. I still like the Brave concept, but implementation is weak. Get some real tech support online and clean up the goofy settings hierarchy so it makes sense. And how hard would it be to set up Brave to allow pdfs to open directly in Adobe. I and many people I work with need the full functionality of Adobe when they open a pdf and cannot be wasting time downloading, searching for the file and then opening it in Adobe. So, for now I am done with Brave and going back to Firefox.

4 Likes

Hi

For Windows, to open pdf in Acrobat you need to install the Adobe extension @ https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/adobe

1 Like

@konocwa

In a Brave Browser > New Window, go to: brave://settings/content

Scroll down to Additional content settings . . . and set:

• PDF documents: Open PDFs in Brave

I clicked the Like (heart icon) button for a question that you asked:

“What happened to letting users decide what happens with files they are opening?”

Otherwise, it is important that you know where your data is; so maintaining a data structure - including your routine visitation thru it and backup of it - requires both your study and time.

As the study and time to learn and master the options, preferences, and settings of applications.

Brave Browser aims to try and reduce the personal and device identification info that

• ‘fingerprinting’
  • prying
  • snooping
  • tagging
  • tracking

website “masters” use. And, that aim results in some restrictions:

You and your computing device, as RESTRICTED AREAS - hence: ‘Shields’.

If you would study the Developer Tools > Network (and other tools), you would find and learn about the dynamic offensive hacks and methods being employed by more and more websites . . . seeking to penetrate your defenses - that include Brave Browser defenses on your behalf.

You may envision convenience, while Brave Browser tries to maintain some security.

Perfect example of what I am talking about. Someone trying to be helpful, but just doesn’t read or understand the issue. I don’t want to open pdfs in Brave. I want them to open in Adobe.

Thanks for trying.

Without Prejudice

Christian Konopaski

It is not nearly that simple. After playing with it for a while I somehow got one computer to cooperate and open pdfs in Adobe. On my other computer with the exact same setting and the Adobe extension installed, it still opens pdfs in the browser.

Without Prejudice

Christian Konopaski

My 2 cents. I don’t like extensions for a multitude of reasons. I don’t use extensions. I don’t want to install an extension to be able to perform an action that should already be a basic option in settings.

I agree. But how are we going to get Brave to give use the basic functionality that many users want with their pdf files.

Without Prejudice

Christian Konopaski