I need help with the new version

@HappyCamper, please pay attention to whos replying to whom.
Are you using Firefox to download Brave? If so, that means Firefox - as a totally, completely separate, unrelated issue to Brave - needs to be updated.

The lack of this update may be causing issues with your Brave download. You can either update Firefox, then download Brave and install or you can use a different browser - sounds like you’re on Windows so probably Microsoft Edge - and download Brave . that way.

@MisterTeeXD,
Ensure that all Brave instances/processes are closed when updating. Close Brave and try again. If this doesn’t work, navigate to add/remove programs - I don’t want you to uninstall anything, but I would like to confirm the version number of the one you have installed. The version of the install should be displayed in the Add/Remove box when you click on it. Let me know what you find.

The version number that i have installed is : 71.0.58.16

I went to add/remove like you said and I see: 0.25.304 This what you need?

@HappyCamper, that instruction was not addressed to you. Please reread what I mentioned above :point_up: :

@HappyCamper, please pay attention to whos replying to whom.
Are you using Firefox to download Brave? If so, that means Firefox - as a totally, completely separate, unrelated issue to Brave - needs to be updated.

The lack of this update may be causing issues with your Brave download. You can either update Firefox, then download Brave and install or you can use a different browser - sounds like you’re on Windows so probably Microsoft Edge - and download Brave that way.

I have never used Edge… this is all so complicated. I did upgrade FF, and it didn’t help. It seems Brave down loaded, but:
“Installer failed to uncompress archive. Please DL Brave again.” This is what came up when I tried again to DL Brave. It seems like the archives from FF, what I used before may be the problem? I just don’t know. : (
The only thing FF has to do with Brave was my bookmarks and things that was imported from FF to Brave

@HappyCamper, what operating system are you using? Windows 10 or 7?

I just want a private browser I do not wish to get involved in any Brave matters or interests
If this Browser cannot or will not provide please let us know upfront

Sorry I had to go, I am using Windows 10, unfortunately.
Mattches, hope your not mad at me. I will leave page open for a while. When I go to sleep I will let you know.

Windows 10… Thanks again for trying to help.

You may need to clear your registry. Seems like this issue isn’t specific to Brave.
Try downloading a program like ccCleaner (tbh ccC is probably your best bet) and let it clear you cache and reg files. There should be plenty of tutorials/documentation to help you out if you’re unsure about how to use the software.

Let me know if it works for you.

Okay, thank you I sure will give it a try and will let you know what happens.

Can’t find the Registry. As for clearing the caches, I can do that. Not going to dl anything on pc. sorry. Besides I don’t think think this is the problem. I think it has to with Brave. Since I had trouble importing my bookmarks from FF, I think this is why I still have problems. I will clear caches and files though.

is it the one that shows up when opening brave? I downloaded it but can’t open it either…

(update 1.3.99.0)

@sebilation,
Where did you download Brave from and what version are you trying to install/run?

i downloaded it here:

https://brave-download.global.ssl.fastly.net/multi-channel/releases/dev/0.22.669/winx64/BraveSetup-x64.exe

the version i currently have is:0.25.304. it keeps telling me when opening that there is a new update, which i downloaded, but it didnt do much.

the download is from here:

https://brave-browser-downloads.s3.brave.com/latest/BraveBrowserSetup.exe

The update should prompt you to install/download the new Brave build. When you update through the old build (the one you’re currently using), the shortcut used to open Brave should turn grey and be labeled Brave (Old) (Windows only). There should also be a new shortcut that launches the new build.

That said, it should have launched automatically. To test and see if it’s installed already (assuming you’re using Windows):

1. Click the start button
  2. Search for cmd and hit enter (this should launch the Windows Command Prompt)
  3. Type start brave.exe and hit enter

Brave should now launch on your machine. If the new build is installed, you should see this version launch when the above command is run.

Let me know what you find when you perform the steps given.

did it, it said it can’t be found (brave.exe). I am womewhat confused because I can’t find the download of the update no more. I started bravefrom the old setup and now it is all change… i guess best is to deinstall and reinstall latest version? I am new to all this and not (yet) tech savvy. lol

Maybe it helps if i show what i stored under the brave folder? Or is there a way to see the latest installations on my PC, so I can track it? Or should I just download it again (in history of browser it is still as a completed download but starts again a new download when clicking on it). hope this is not too confusing

I am running windows 7 64 bit

I have been trying to get new update, I have went to Control Panel, all programs & uninstall Brave version Installed version: 0.58.21 I restart my PC & nothing changes i get this page here in attachment

How is this possible i deleted it in all programs
What version it right for my PC & how to get rid of old versions. Your the ones with new download that will not install & stay put … This new update of Braves should remove all old versions & stay put why do we have to try to figure out whats wrong… Maby hire some Google people to get help with it

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

@Klwiley07,
The reason is so that users browsing data from the previous install of Brave (Muon) is not overwritten or erased.
If you installed the new build, it should be on your machine as well as the old build. There’s also a detailed support article here on Community that addresses this and many other common issues found when upgrading.

1 Like