I like having my new tabs in private to be blank but now it's Brave Search

In the past when I opened a new private tab it would be blank but now it defaults to Brave Search. I can’t seem to see a way to change it back. Am I missing something?

Description of the issue:

Brave Version (check About Brave): Linux version v1.42.86

Operating System: Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon

@sferraro963,
I do not believe there is any way to do this at this time. We do apologize for the inconvenience.

Well I guess the only solution is to bookmark an about:blank page and use that as my new tab in private. I hate to be forced something. Used to ocassionally use Brave Search. Not anymore !

Umm, maybe. I’m seeing what Mattches mentioned, but did you go to brave://settings/newTab? I just checked it on my Windows 10 Pro running
Version 1.42.88
and was able to switch between Dashboard, Home Page, or Blank Page.

Keep in mind if you don’t use Dashboard, you’ll not have the chance for NTP ads, so you’ll lose out on some of your potential BAT. In addition, you’ll be losing out on things like a place for your Favorite Sites. But if not a big deal to you, then you should still be able to open to blank page if you go to the settings and get it set up for that.

That applies to normal tabs, not tabs in a private window.

when will this functionality be disabled?

1. I detest default items (a.k.a. crap) on my pages
  2. I particularly hate forced bundled items, be it search, or wallets
  3. I can live with them if I have the option to turn them off/disable them
  4. I detest default items (a.k.a. crap) on my pages

I’ve been using Brave for a while, not the best, but not too bad either. If the developers are going to start forcing uses to interact with what they believe is best, or worse yet, start taking away customization options that previously existed, I may have to move on to something that respects its users.

thanks.

I’ve opened a feature request for this for the developers to review:

Thank you.