I keep getting "nothing provides libc.so.6... " when I try to install Brave on CentOS 7

I am running centOS 7 and have Brave 0.15.2 running. I am attempting to update to the latest version,.

I enter the command dnf install brave-browser

The command fails with the following messages:

Error:
Problem: conflicting requests

• nothing provides libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.18)(64bit) needed by brave-browser-0.66.101-1.x86_64
  • nothing provides libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.18)(64bit) needed by brave-browser-1.3.118-1.x86_64

libc.so.6 existas on my system.

/usr/lib/i686/nosegneg/libc.so.6
/usr/lib/libc.so.6
/usr/lib64/libc.so.6

I included LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include /usr/lib64. This had no effect.

Normally because the installer is looking for libc.so.6 built against GLIBC_2.18. Is your glibc 2.18? Maybe a system update will solve your issue?

Can you point me towards a software requirements list for Brave? I
looked on the website but couldn’t find one.

Would it be worthwhile to download a slightly older version of Brave to
use in the short term? (I have GLIB_2.17).

Thank You for your quick response.

Well, I don’t know who handles the distribution for brave for centos… I would assume the centos package maintainers… They determine what libs are requied… In your case the only hope would be a centos upgrade of glibc to 2.18, but that would be a major update which yould need to upgrade all your packages… If centos has older brave packages, you could try those… or upgrade to a newer version of centos?

edit: from issues…

CentOS/RHEL7 Brave support

the gist: centos support has been dropped(?)

Thanks.

I appreciate your advice, and your quick response.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.