HTTP Bookmark + Ad/tracking blocking extension results in page load hang, "Processing Request"

Description of the issue:

Ublock Origin, Privacy Badger and Ghostery are installed, some of my bookmarks are HTTP://, not HTTPS://

After clicking a bookmark that has HTTP://, and the listed extensions enabled, a new tab opens, says “Loading” and shows “Processing Request” in the lower left. The requested page never loads, just hangs there.

There is an inconsistency in Brave’s response. In troubleshooting before finding the HTTPS:// connection (see below), sometimes I could get the page to load by disabling just UBO, sometimes just Ghostery, other times all three had to be disabled and sometimes the page would load with all three enabled.

Thanks to a comment by /u/byggpemis on Reddit, where I posted the issue, I confirmed that changing those bookmarks to HTTPS:// resolved the issue. Pages loaded normally with all extensions enabled.

I experienced this issue on Amazon, IMDB and Piratebay, plus others I don’t recall.

I subsequently went into “Settings”, disabled “Upgrade connections to HTTPS” and changed the Amazon bookmark back to HTTP:// . I wanted to see if that would also resolve the issue. It did not, disabling the extensions was still required to get the page to load.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Install/enable Ublock Origin, Privacy Badger and Ghostery.
  2. Create an Amazon bookmark using an HTTP:// address, not HTTPS://
  3. Open Bookmark, page should hang per above description

Expected result:

Page opens to the requested web site.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 0.68.142 Chromium: 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

Windows 7, 64 bit, with all “Important” updates installed

Edit: Used the wrong slash, corrected them.

Edit2: Not only does this affect bookmarks but also links found on sites. Clicked a link on CNN that wasn’t HTTPS:// and got the “Processing Request” error.

In another occurrence I clicked on a link in a google search that was HTTP:// and received the same error. In this case the site apparently doesn’t have HTTPS:// enabled/available (not sure of the right term) because when I copied the link and changed it to HTTPS:// I get “Privacy Error - NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID”.

Also, in these cases I’m not able to edit the address to change it to HTTPS:// in the address bar. Despite having the flag set to not hide the full address it only shows the domain, “sitename.com”.

I am also experiencing this problem… I came to find out why I kept seeing “Processing request” because it is getting almost bad enough to stop using Brave. Its inconsistent, weird, and annoying.

The only difference I have from Rema above… Is that I only have the AdGuard extension.