How to unlock profile that keeps brave from starting

I wouldn’t be posting this if someone out there in Brave would simply have told us in the goddam error message how to unlock the goddam profile:

This is the arrogance and hubris of programming knowitalls that have been providing useless fucking messages since Unix day one:

"Brave has locked the profile so that it doesn’t get corrupted. If you are sure no other processes are using this profile, you can unlock the profile and relaunch Brave.

I searched and only found something pertaining to Fedora, somehow you decided to make the profiles different on various versions of Linux.

So tell us coder kids, how do we delete or ignore the fucking profile that is keeping your browser from loading?

1 Like

Locate the file(s) with find -iname SingletonLock and then remove the file(s) associated with Brave with the rm command, e.g.:
rm ./snap/brave/339/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/SingletonLock
The path may vary depending on whether you installed Brave directly or as a snap.

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

(post deleted by author)

I wrongfully assumed you were someone with Brave, but now I see they don’t even monitor these discussions and just let the blind lead the blind.

Seems like I need to just get rid of Brave and go back to Firefox.

i’m just replying to keep this topic open.

1 Like

@clmiami sorry you never got a response. Generally I’m even active here trying to help or at least tagging in people from Brave. For me not to help means it completely slipped under. There are a lot of topics and generally attention goes to whatever is recent or most active. Like it just caught my attention because @mikedemondad replied to keep the topic open.

@mikedemondad are you having a similar issue or what is the motivation on keeping it open?

@Mattches would you have any answers on what a person is supposed to do in the situation as presented by OP? Is this actually something from Brave or is it more or less just from the OS?

I personally have never seen this message in my life — may be Linux specific. A screenshot of the error would be helpful.

1 Like

@Mattches
ERROR: $ brave-browser
[27367:27367:0321/212434.076128:ERROR:process_singleton_posix.cc(353)] T
he profile appears to be in use by another Brave process (40945) on anot
her computer (mx). Brave has locked the profile so that it doesn’t get c
orrupted. If you are sure that no other processes are using this profile
, you can unlock the profile and relaunch Brave.
[27367:27367:0321/212434.076222:ERROR:message_box_dialog.cc(146)] Unable
to show a dialog outside the UI thread message loop: Brave - The profil
e appears to be in use by another Brave process (40945) on another compu
ter (mx). Brave has locked the profile so that it doesn’t get corrupted.
If you are sure that no other processes are using this profile, you can
unlock the profile and relaunch Brave.

This is trying to run it from the console - running it from the icon shows the lion for a sec then nothing.
Yes, I was playing with MX, but not for a bit and the PID doesn’t exist.
I have had this error before and have been given the option to kill it and run - say yes and problem solved, not this time.

UPDATE: Did the dirty on SingletonLock as you suggested and everything is hunky-dory :wink:

It may be useful to find out his OS - I mostly use Opensuse (standard or tumbleweed, depending on my mood :wink: ).

It is important to keep this topic open for the foreseeable future. I have no idea why this lock was applied to my Brave profile, and it stopped me from using my default, and my preferred, browser from functioning within Linux. Brave only worked if I booted into Microsoft Windows, which I only have for the occasional instance that I have to access something that I don’t know how to do in Linux (which happens about 2 or 3 times per year).

@el_gallo_azul just out of curiosity, are you using something like a virtual machine or is this a normal PC/laptop running Linux?

Of the options listed at brave.com/linux which release channel did you use?

Which Linux distro are you using?

are you using something like a virtual machine or is this a normal PC/laptop running Linux?

A desktop computer running Linux.

Of the options listed at brave.com/linux which release channel did you use?

Debian, Ubuntu, Mint

Which Linux distro are you using?

This problem occurred in Ubuntu. I also use Tails, but I haven’t installed Brave in Tails.

Just stumbled upon the same issue, Ubuntu 23.10. No hints whatsoever on how to solve this, so I’ll probably wipe the whole Brave-installation after backing up my settings. It’s a shame but giving users the finger isn’t really the best way to advertise a product. So, Brave will soon be history on my systems.

Cheers,
Uwe

Hice justo lo que indicó [https://community.brave.com/u/4cdbc27d] y hops! brave activado en Linux
Gracias! 4cdbc27d

It worked for me thanks a lot man

I also faced a similar problem on openSUSE Tumbleweed where I had two installations of Brave—one from Flatpak and another from the official openSUSE repository. To resolve it, I first uninstalled the Flatpak version using flatpak uninstall com.brave.Browser . Next, I removed the lock file with rm ~/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/SingletonLock . After these steps, everything started working smoothly again.

1 Like

It worked, Thanks a lot.

Closing as OP hasn’t replied in ages and things seeming okay overall. If anyone is having issues, please create a new topic and provide as much detail as you can, especially regarding OS and which version of Brave you’re using