How to show/copy saved passwords without creating a lock screen

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Description of the issue:
Brave android is forcing me to create a lock screen for my phone before accepting to show me the saved password. Why is this? Any one who gets access to my phone can log in anyway, so anyone who got my phone could just go into my accounts and do whatever damage they want. How does forcing us to use a lock screen protect us?

I don’t have a lock screen because I’m the only one who uses my phone. I only use Brave for certain sites that do not work on Firefox, so very few passwords are saved, none of which are particularly sensitive. If my phone gets stolen and someone accesses my accounts and does damage, that’ll be my responsibility and my problem.

Besides, if someone stole my phone, all they’d have to do is create a lock screen, and then they’d be able to access the passwords, so how is this “feature” supposed to prevent theives from getting access to them?

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Do not have any lock screen for your android phone (no fingerprint, facial recognition, or voice unlock, no pass word, code, symbol or shape unlock).
  2. Login to a site and have Brave save the password.
  3. Go into Brave parameters and into Password Manaagement and try to copier/show the password

Expected result:
Passwords should show/copy regardless of phone parameters.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Brave 1.49.129, Chromium 111.0.5563.116
Mobile Device details
Samsung Galaxy, Android 12, One UI 4.1
Additional Information:

Negative. Brave uses login credentials for encryption and all. It’s needed for the storage and usage of your passwords.

It’s not about physical access. It’s also protecting from any website you visit. If not encrypted, passwords can easily be targeted and “stolen.”

It makes sure no website or app is able to snatch your passwords from Brave. And even if they do, it will be encrypted and useless.

Holy crap, your device is outdated like crazy. Current is 1.61.xx and later.

How does having a lock screen prevent sites from stealing my passwords? In order to use Brave on my phone, I have to unlock my screen… So when I go on websites or use other apps, the screen is unlocked. If I create a lock screen, I am able to access my passwords, so why would an app/website not be able to do the same?

Is there something I’m missing here?

Ok, but at least give us the option to deactivate this “protection”. We have the option to deactivate secure navigation. We don’t need Brave to make decisions for us. I’d also like to specify that password saving and logging in works just fine without having a screen lock, so I don’t understand where you get that it’s “needed for the storage and usage of your passwords”. The only thing that doesn’t work is showing/copying/exporting passwords.

I only use Brave as a backup browser. It’s clear it’s never going to be more than that.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.