How to Set a Specific Country in brave, like Tor Browser "EntryNodes,ExitNodes"

How to Set a Specific Country in brave, like Tor Browser “EntryNodes,ExitNodes”

1 Like

We do not support configuring the entry and exit nodes. Doing this generally hurts your anonymity, and the most common reason people want to do it — to get around IP-based country restrictions on video streaming — is very taxing on the Tor network.

If you have a good reason for doing this, you can do it with the Tor Browser.

We have an open issue for this: https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/2006

The issue is not exactly that scripts can’t be blocked (they can be, in the shields panel); rather it’s that we kind of did too good a job preventing anything from being persistent in private windows with Tor, and that includes settings, so it won’t remember the setting that you want scripts blocked the next time you restart the browser. (Of course, we conversely did a bad job of presenting this fact in the UI, so it looks like you can change it in settings but that doesn’t work.)

This is a somewhat deep internal architectural decision that is difficult to change, but we are planning on fixing it along with a host of other related issues caused by the architectural decision tracked in the feature/tor/guest-semantics label: https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/labels/feature%2Ftor%2Fguest-semantics

If you know of IP leaks, we’d like to hear about them.

While we definitely want to allow people to persistently choose to block scripts, too much functionality on the web relies on scripts for us to choose to block them by default. (The Tor Browser made the same decision about the default for the same reason; this does not set Brave apart.)

Wow, first response is how it can be used in the wrong fashion. Not everyone wants that. For example when you go to a USA site you get the inflated USA prices. When you go to a site directly in a different country you get the real price. if the exchange is good for you, you would be far better paying their prices than the inflated USA prices. The other countries have also learned this and often create a USA version of their site with the higher prices. I learned this when I went overseas. You walk into a local business and the prices are far cheaper than the prices researched online at home here in the USA. So, if you want to book a tour it is far cheaper using their country site and get their local prices. Its a no brainer to do this than pay exorbitant prices on sites here.

I like to use country exit node for testing the websites I work on. I have had issues several times, either due to poorly configured DNS or ISP blocking sites. By popping up from different locations, it’s possible to troubleshoot the issue.

It can also be used for testing cookie management where EU countries have different setup.

Also, sometimes when I am abroad and I try to access a website from back home, there are some websites that are not available, so using the exit node I can access the same sites I get at home.

And finally, it brings me a lot of joy to be able to set the exit node, which is the best reason of all I think.