How to save pinned tabs

Yes, I’m aware of that, but this functionality is what enabled me to stop relying on pinned tabs being opened or restored correctly and reliably.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Any more ideas on how to fix this?

1 Like

@CooperOnTheRun,
When you click on the option in the menu I mentioned in my previous reply, do the pinned tabs not reappear?

1 Like

Yes, they do, but do I really have to take these steps all the time? Why can’t I just save pinned tabs just like in other browsers?

1 Like

@CooperOnTheRun,
The reason this is happening is because you are closing the browser – that is, you are clicking the x on the top-left of the browser to close the window. On macOS, this does not full end the process the same way Windows does.

In Windows, when you click the x and close Brave, the browser is closed fully and the next click will essentially “relaunch” the browser and (all things working) it will be in the same state you left it when you closed it.

In macOS, the x does not quit the process – you can see this by clicking the x (closing the window) and observing the menu bar at the top of the screen:

:point_up: Notice that it still reads Brave – this is because the Brave process is still open. You can also see this on the dock, denoted by a small white dot underneath applications that are running. So then, when you click on the icon, the OS goes “Brave is already open, you must want a new window” and opens a new, blank window, rather than relaunching you into your previous session.

However, if you Quit Brave, the browser process does end and when you relaunch, it will grab your last session state and open with it:

1 Like

I understand.
Since Safari, Chrome and Firefox don’t need to be closed completely on Mac just to keep the saved pinned tabs, will there be a fix for Brave in a future update?

1 Like

@CooperOnTheRun,
Perhaps there’s a misunderstanding here? I’m getting the exact same behavior in Chrome on macOS as I am in Brave – which is to be expected. You’re saying that if you have pinned tabs in Chrome and you click the x button in the browser window, then re-open Chrome, all your pinned tabs are there?

That’s weird. In Safari and Chrome I can close with x and it will reopen the pinned tabs automatically.
This never worked in Brave, so I used an extension for this. But since the latest Brave update, this extension won’t open the pinned tabs automatically anymore.

@CooperOnTheRun,
The behavior should certainly be the same. Additionally, can you please try removing that extension entirely and see if the default behavior for pinned tabs changes?

I already did. To sum it up:

• Before the latest Brave update, the extension worked just fine. I could x Brave, and all the pinned tabs came back up. I never needed to close Brave completely. The extension support does not know how to fix this problem.

• Without the extension, Brave only loads pinned tabs when it is closed completely.

• In Safari and Firefox I can x the browser and all pinned tabs will open automatically.

@CooperOnTheRun,
I believe that this is due to the underlying Chromium engine used to power this and other browsers. I imagine you will get the same results in Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi, etc. for this reason. While I apologize for the inconvenience I can’t say whether or not this is something we ourselves will prioritize as the issue originates upstream.

I’ve forwarded this information either way. If it helps, you can use Cmd + Q to easily “quit” the browser.