How to Question - How do you make websites run the full size of your display?

Description of the issue:

I have a modern asus chromebox and it is connected to a benq display 1920 x 1080 x 60hz via HDMI. Some websites display at full size as they do in a chrome browser, others are smaller, most noticeably on width -using CTRL+ makes the screen bigger but does not fit the screen and it doesn’t stay that way if you open new tabs or windows.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

Just run a standard search using Brave Browser and Brave default search, and it displays smaller than full screen for me.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

I’ve tried to do a screen shot but failed - it pasted as html

Expected result:
Same size on a chrome browser as a brave browser on my display

Reproduces how often:

Running the same search above and it is small 100% of times. A small proportion of websites (less than 20% run full size automatically ) it doesnt matter normal or private tab, Bing and wikipedia screens run full size automatically.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Brave 1.35.103 Chromium 98.0.4758.102 Android 11 Build R98-14388.61.0 Benq Bl2780 1980x1080 x 60 hz monitor, Asus chromebox

Additional Information:

Try pressing the F11 key?

Thanks paul, that results in a small/narrow web page in a full screen window.

Graham

Does the information in the link below relate to this?

I’m not sure i’m explaining this well - this is NOT an issue about toggling FULL SCREEN on and off.

Some web pages render at ‘full size’ and some are 'small/narrow.

Is there a setting in brave that lets you increase above 100% and default it (I can’t find it if it exists)

Is there something wrong with display drivers? with the resolution I am using on my display? something else? - thsame web pages work fine on the same OS (ChromeOS) and the same display and hdmi cable in Chrome (Browser)

rgds

Graham

Ah, ok, how about this in brave://settings/appearance. The dropdown has various increasing sizes you can choose.

Since you mentioned display drivers, I was curious if you checked to make sure your display drivers were up to date?

Edit: This is related to another issue in a different topic. I was wondering if you had the Chrome Browser open at the same time as the Brave Browser?

brave://settings/appearance only has options for:

• enable night mode
  • disable sharing hub
  • theme

there is no zoom setting anywhere (note ChromeOS and Brave Browser)

so, I update ChromeOS whenever an update is offered (which seems relatively frequently), I guess I assume drivers are part of that update - I don’t know how to update them separately.

generally, yes I have Chrome (signed in google account) and Brave Browsers open at the same time - I can check with chrome browser but dont expect different results

just checked - no change with chrome browser closed and close and reopen brave browser

@GrahamL Oh no, I just noticed the android tag in your post. Was it always there or did you add? lol I thought you were on a PC platform! I do not know settings availability on Android and I think they are different from on a PC. I think @Saoiray uses an Android and he is active in the community. Maybe he will pop in and help.

I use windows. If I go to Device Manager and click on my display adapters and choose the adapter, I can update drivers from there. I do not know how to do that on ChromeOS.

So sorry for wasting your time. Hopefully someone else who knows about your specific devices will drop in and help. My intentions were good if that counts! lol

1 Like

Honestly, that’s a coding issue on their part. It happens on Windows and others as well. Brave Search is still in Beta and they really should modify text size. I recently talked to them about that and all the “empty space” on it. Not sure when/if they’ll be implementing changes.

Does it happen anywhere other than Brave Search?

1 Like

So wikipedia and bing.com work fine, most other sites do not - bbc.com, and some adult sites - it’s more a surprise when a site does work as expected rather than the other way around.

I’m not complaining - I’m a fan of brave browser for security and privacy and a novel ‘opt in’ ads - Cyber security and Information Assurance is the day job, hence the interest.

It would be nice to fix this issue - just from a professional appearance perspective.

best rgds, and thanks for the response,

Graham

@GrahamL,
I imagine many of these sites are having an issue reconciling the proper display as they would on an Android device vs on a laptop display — because the Chromebook version of the browser is the Android version.

I’m curious if these sites display normally if you elect to view them in desktop mode (Menu --> Desktop site)?

@Mattches - I have desktop site ticked all the time on both normal and private tabs - ‘unticking’ makes things worse/narrower.

Possibly unreasonable expectation on my part, that the hardware (chromebox/hdmi/modern display) to work as well on Brave as Chrome Browsers

I had one comment from a colleague as ‘websites may be treating Brave as a different browser, and hence rendering incorrectly’ - I’m not sure how to check this.

Ok, that was easier to check than I thought - whatsmybrowser.org gave the below about brave:

We’ve detected the following details about your browser. This information may help support teams troubleshoot issues you’re experiencing with their website.
Operating system Linux
IP address (deleted by me0
help_outline
Javascript enabled Yes
Cookies enabled Yes
Flash version Not installed
Java version Not installed
Websockets supported Yes
WebGL supported Yes
Language en-GB
Browser size 1920 x 904
Screen size 1920 x 1080
Color depth 24 bit
Your full user agent string is: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/99.0.4844.51 Safari/537.36

Chrome Browser reported similar but ‘Chrome 98’ rather than 99 on Brave

Browser size was 1524 x 743 and Your full user agent string is:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; CrOS x86_64 14388.61.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/98.0.4758.107 Safari/537.36

How to i achieve 1524 x 743 on Brave :slight_smile:

@GrahamL,
Good testing and thanks for all the info. I’ve asked our Android team about this as I’m not super clear on how to resolve this particular issue. Hope to have more information for you soon.

thanks @Mattches - i’ve just realised/remembered

Chromebox/Chromebook use ChromeOS which is a version of linux

I tried the linux install, but I do not usually do stuff at the command line so it didn’t work

I looked in the chrome web store - brave is not actually available/just addons

This id the android app from the google play store I am using… I should probably expect problems that can;t be solved…

I’ve just added this for explanation

thanks again

Graham

Yes I imagine that the fact that you’re using the Android version on what is technically a laptop is what’s causing the issue — however I do know that other users use Brave on Chromebook that do not see this issue as well.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.