How to export passwords/bookmarks

Description of the issue: I’m currently in the process of saving all the valuable information on my PC before I completely reset it. When trying to export my stuff all I found was to import not export. Terribly sorry if this is the wrong area for this but I’m not sure where else to put this. If this is the wrong area please move this into the right area. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Brave Version(about:brave): Version 0.59.14 Chromium: 72.0.3626.28 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no): Not sure

1 Like

You can export Bookmarks using the “Export as HTML” method noted here:

Unfortunately the rest of your data will have to wait until Brave Sync is ready :confused:
Apologies for any inconvenience.

2 Likes

Any ETA on brave sync? I would like to reset my computer before sunday

We’re shooting for ~end of month but that’s subject to change.
Are you trying to transfer all of your browsing data?

I’m just trying to get my passwords, bookmarks and hopefuly extensions but I wouldn’t mind too much if I didn’t.

Bookmarks can be exported/imported using the method linked to above.
You can also export and import passwords by setting a flag in Brave.
To export:

1. Launch Brave (the one you have your data on currently) and from main menu, navigate to Settings --> Passwords
  2. Here, click the menu button for more options:
  3. Select Export and save the file somewhere accessible

To Import:

1. Open Brave (the one to have data imported to) and type Brave://flags/ into the address bar
  2. Search for a flag titled #PasswordImport, you’ll be prompted to relaunch (do so)
  3. After relaunch, return to the passwords page and click the same menu you did to export
  4. Notice that you now have an “import” option available as well:
  5. Select Import and choose the file you exported your data to

Extensions can not be imported but are easy to find and download. Use this article if you need help finding/installing extensions:

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further questions or if you’re having trouble with any of the steps above.

1 Like

Is it possible to import passwords from Safari? I can’t figure it out, nor find any instructions here.

Hello @jminotaur!
Yes there is and yes there are :slight_smile:
See this article on importing/exporting browsing data into Brave:

Check this section for help articles for common issues:

@Mattches. Thanks for the suggestions.

As it happens I’d already read that and attempted it without success. I found another posting somewhere here concerning others having difficulty importing bookmarks and followed the instructions there (export from safari, then import the file). That worked.

But the issue of passwords is rather different it seems. That is, when I look at the page you sent I notice a few things.

1. The word ‘password’ does not appear in the text, rather ‘browsing data.’
  2. The ‘work-around’ above brought over bookmarks, but no ‘settings’ of any kind.
  3. When I follow the instruction listed on the page you sent, I note that item 4 is “Check the desired settings to import and click Import” but there ARE NO options given except “Favorites/Bookmarks.”

So I seem to be stuck at re-entering them all one by one. Of course there may be some super obvious thing staring me in the face without my noticing, but I tried those instructions 4-5 times before looking for the work-around, and I’ve tried them again since hoping to see any other options than ‘Favorites/Bookmarks’, but to no avail.

Kind regards,
Johnny minotaur
(day 1 using Brave)

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Closed in favor of “master” issue below.
Even if you’ve already reported this issue before – reply here with some details about what did (or did not) get imported when they tried using the importer if you’d like to help us get this issue resolved: