How to disable 'New window' option in utility menu?

Description of the issue:
In previous releases of Brave, I have been able to disable the flag Show a menu item ‘New Window’ but I can’t find it after the update.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Press on the 3 dots in top right corner.
  2. Utility menu opens up.
  3. New tab, new private tab and new window are at the top.

Expected result:
Not having new window in menu.

Brave Version (check About Brave):
1.40.101 (Chromium 103.0.5060.42).

Mobile Device details
SM-T500 (Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 2020).

Additional Information:
In previous versions of Brave/Chromium, the option to disable new window were in flags but not anymore and I wonder if there’s some sort of workaround to disable it. I often use private tabs and I, more often than not, accidentally press new window and it’s quite annoying. It also makes the utility menu clunkier and at times it’s slow while scrolling.

This is currently solved for me as I reverted to Brave’s current version on Google Play Store (1.39.123, Chromium 102.0.5005.125) and in that version the flag needed to disable the new window option is still available.

Although it might be solved as of now, I would greatly appreciate if there was some sort of workaround as the flag will certainly disappear in future versions meaning as soon as Brave upgrades to Chromium 103.

This certain flag Show a menu item 'New Window’ is only available if you enable Temporarily unexpire M100 flags.

I hope that as long as I don’t uninstall current Brave version and only update through Google Play Store, the flag will remain disabled but not visible in brave://flags.

Today Brave was updated to the current version on Google Play Store which is 1.40.106 and unfortunately the new window option is back.

The utility menu is only getting clunkier, more and more is added to it which makes it even worse and I have now started to actively trying out other browsers to stop using Brave permanently.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.