How to completelly remove Widevine from Brave (Ubuntu)?

Hello,

Issue: Accidentely I activated Google Widevine when accessing my Netflix account on Brave. I want to remove it and will use Netflix in Chrome.

1. Searched online including this forum and did not find how to do it (instructions are either for other OS’s, present screenshots that seem outdated or even suggest that it’s not possible) Could not find any pluggin preference page on Brave.
  2. I uninstalled the apt package, used sudo apt autoremove and reinstalled Brave
  3. Issue remains (I did not delete the configurations, and don’t know how to do it so after install everything went back to the same)

Is there a way to do it in Ubuntu systems?
Thanks in advance for any tip!

**Actual Result: Netflix works (I assume it’s because Widevine is now installed)

**Expected result:: I expect that Netflix does not work or that the popup to install Winevide comes up again. (Is there another way

**Reproduces how often: everytime

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
elementary OS 5.0 Juno || Built on Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS || Linux 4.15.0-55-generic || GTK+ 3.22.30
Version 0.67.123 Chromium: 76.0.3809.87 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
I want a clean private browser with no extensions, so to have Widevine installed defeats that.

@bravr000,
Thanks for reaching out to us. So as it stands we don’t have a way to disable/uninstall Widevine CDM in settings – there is an open issue to add this feature which I’ve added a +1 to on your behalf:

However, on Linux, you may want to try checking and removing the following:

rm -rf ~/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/WidevineCdm

Please be sure you do not remove the entire directory.

Thank you so much for the quick feedback.
In my case this worked perfectly!

I have changed completely to Brave as my main browser, and it’s impressive. Love it!!!

1 Like

@bravr000,
Very glad to hear of your success!
Even happier to hear Brave is your daily driver – thanks for your support! Enjoy your privacy :slight_smile: