I am a de-googler so do not have the youtube client on my phone and really dislike using the youtube website as well.
When I open youtube links in brave though, they go to the official youtube site.
I’d really like youtube links to (optionally) be automatically re-directed to invidious (an open source privacy-friendly youtube frontend).
The primary reasons why I prefer invidious to youtube and these above clients to reddit.com are:
- Youtube.com has lots of distracting/time wasting algorithmically recommended content/click bait, which can be disabled on invidious
- reddit.com intentionally degrades the mobile experience using annoying pop-ups as well as blocking certain subreddits from being access without the app
- reddit.com is slower and more bloated than old.reddit.com and teddit.net
- youtube.com doesn’t support background playback on mobile so brave has to use the desktop version as a hack, which causes often results in vidios restarting and is hard to use.
- youtube.com and reddit.com have trackers/data collection which invidious and teddit do not have
An example of such an invidious instance is vid.puffyan.us.
I noticed that this feature has been added on brave ios, so I’d imagine a lot of the work to integrate it into android is already complete.
There are also a lot of people in this twitter thread asking when it will be added to android, showing clear demand.
There are also many people in this brave browser github issue who would like this feature added to android: https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/20924
On brave desktop this can be achieved via popular extensions such as the following:
Thank you very much. I really look forward to this feature being added as soon as possible! Otherwise I might have to consider some browsers such as kiwi which support the above chrome extensions but are inferior to brave in many other ways