How secure/private can Brave be since Google reads every page you open (with/without the translate plugin)

This is related to tuckers post post, but he didn’t seem to care about the most important point for privacy. And this post from the list of similar posts to the right, is dead.

Yesterday I installed Brave & typed an Italian word in the address bar. Then an ad/prompt for google’s translate plugin appeared. Like tuckers said, this means Google & co. have been given my browsing & address-bar-search histories. I find it concerning that Brave, a product marketed for privacy, allows such a flagrant breach thereof. Is this true for “private” windows too? Is brave really free of google’s privacy predation?

@synergetic what search engine are you using? I use ddg and have the google translate extension an that issue that you describe have never happened to me in all the months that I’ve been using brave

@synergetic,
The translate extension option is offered to all users initially. This is because – at this time – we do not have a native translation system in place. I’m not sure the extension was offered because you went to an Italian site or not as I don’t believe that is the intended behavior.

Further, we take several steps/measures to ensure that data in your browser stays there and does not phone home to Google. We also have documentation that dives further into the details of what we block, strip, spoof or proxy so that client data is not sent to Google as it would in Chrome or other browsers:

This happens in the address bar without interaction with any Google service. My primary search engines are SearX & DDG. SearX is cool 'cause it’s totally private & you can write your own algorithm. :wink:

1 Like

Wow, that’s an excellent & succinct explanation w. info! Thanks Mattches

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.