How does Brave populate Top sites

I reinstalled Brave. Completely removed any trace of previous installation. When I type any letter on the address bar, I see web address from my book marks in the drop down menu. thats fine. But below that I see a list of “Top Sites”. These sites i have never visited before. For example I see a site “sina.com.cn”. I have never visited this site in any of the browser before. This as you see from china and have around 60 ads blocked in this one site alone. I am very skeptic about whey I see this site? Can any one explain.

Thanks
Nellai

Brave: 0.21.5
V8: 6.4.388.40
rev: 6c8a9928d80dffa5c166e22d593c2b5e87cdf3a7
Muon: 4.7.5
OS Release: 10.0.16299
Update Channel: Developer
OS Architecture: x64
OS Platform: Microsoft Windows
Node.js: 7.9.0
Brave Sync: v1.4.2
libchromiumcontent: 64.0.3282.119

Alexa top 500 sites list’s used for Top Sites suggestion and the team added more sites manually, AFAIK. And that site, sina.com.cn are on that top 500.

I’m not sure if Brave still use that list. Need confirmation from @sriram or @kamil about this.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback @nellaiseemai,
:slight_smile:

That is correct. Top site suggestions were based on Alexa 500. So you will see site suggestions based on that list. Currently we use Bloodhound to populate the topsite lists.
We do have an issue logged to replace this which can be tracked here

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.