How does Brave choose the webpage it opens when you leave it without quitting & later come back to pick up where you left off?

Apologies but I didn’t read through this entire thread but I do think I have a grasp of what is being asked.

@mk7z
It’s likely an extension you have installed. I’ve never had that happen to me, nor have I ever seen another user reporting that behavior.

“Quitting” the browser – that is, right-clicking the Brave icon on the macOS dock and selecting quit may exhibit this behavior, but I just tested it myself and even fully quitting the browser and reopening it landed me on the same tab I had open/selected.

“Minimizing” the browser should have absolutely no effect on anything. It works more or less the same way minimizing an application in Windows OS works. There is no state change to the browser so it should not do what you’re describing.

As usual, it would be helpful to see a short recording of the behavior. Since you’re on macOS, you can use the built-in screen recording tool, upload that recording to imgur, and paste the link in here for easy upload.

@Mattches Thanks. Is there a way to just attach the video to a reply post?

Note that a video isn’t going to show much. Just:

(1) window/tab currently open
(2) minimizing all windows (via clicking the yellow circle in upper left of screen)
(3) clicking on Brave icon in the Dock (to unminimize)
(4) tab/window that Brave opens on (which won’t be the one that was open when the windows were minimized)

Since I’d noted that the unminimizing was always pulling up one particular tab in one particular window, no matter what tab or window I minimized from, I moved that tab to a different window. On the next attempt unminimizing then chose the tab that had been to the right of the moved tab.

When I then closed all tabs in that window, unminimizing just chose another window & tab. The behavior then was the same.

I don’t know why the few well-known extensions I use would be affecting this. I’ve just gone through disabling them, to no effect.

(When I used the OneTab extension it did always open its own tab when Brave was reopened – even though I had selected the preference for it not to. But I’ve since completely removed OneTab, so unless it left something in its wake, it shouldn’t be affecting this either.)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.