How do i stop brave from launching during start up

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Delete the any text above the line separator below before posting

Every time I restart my Mac, Brave is already open when I log in. I’ve tried to remove it from the list of startup applications, but it keeps reappearing in the list! ALSO MY COMPUTER RUNS SLOWER WHEN THIS HAPPENS! I HAVE TO KILL BRAVE ALL TOGETHER AND LAUNCH ANOTHER BROWSER ( CHROME, SAFARI)

Moving BACK TO CHROME
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Close Brave Shutdown computer

Expected result:
ITS PRETTY DARN SIMPLE IS IT NOT?

1. When I restart my computer, BRAVE SHOULD NOT BE RUNNING, OR ATTEMPTING TO LAUNCH!

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Additional Information:

one other place where you could get brave to auto-startup on Mac,

#1. When shutting off computer, you select Start with open applications on next start up and you shutdown computer while brave is running. Remember clicking the X button on the brave window does not actually exit the brave program and brave is still running with no visible windows. That’s actually just how application in general are done on mac…

1 Like

Hello, @ericlark. @megaspaz has a good suggestion. Could you provide your versions of macOS and Brave? You can get both by opening a new tab in Brave, typing brave://version in address bar of new tab, and hitting return.

Something that at least used to trigger opening Brave (and Chrome) is if Hangouts is turned on (click to enlarge):

Could you provide your versions of macOS and Brave? You can get both by opening a new tab in Brave, typing brave://version in address bar of new tab, and hitting return.

In macOS 10.14.6, the places I know that house startup items are:

• In System Preferences, Users & Groups, Login Items for your account
  • In your home folder/Library/LaunchAgents
  • In /System/Library/StartupItems
  • In /Library/StartupItems

There may be others, but if you removed Brave/links to it from those and it still does opens on reboot, either there’s another place or there’s another program calling Brave to open.

To simplify, consider using tools like MacPilot (free), CCleaner (free to a point), CleanMyMac (free to a point) for their ability to collect user-configurable startup items in one place or close enough. CCleaner and CleanMyMac also provide antimalware features, more so CleanMyMac, though that may require purchase.

MacPilot’s interface:

CCleaner:

CleanMyMac:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.