How do I reset Brave Privacy Hub Stats?

I’d like to reset my stats for the new year (Happy New Year btw), and I’m having trouble figuring out how to do that for Desktop.

On iOS:
Open Brave > … (bottom right menu / Brave Features) > Settings > Brave Shields & Privacy > Privacy Hub > Clear Shields Data.

But I’m having trouble figuring it out on macOS & Windows.

I tagged all OS’s as I figured it might be helpful for others on other OS’s too, but I just need help with macOS & Windows for now.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

BTW: It didn’t even work on iOS as I thought it would :man_shrugging:t2:

Anyone know if the Brave Team is working on implementing this?

You can already achieve this by deleting a File manually in user data

C:\Users\Arun\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Profile 1 (username and Profile name should be altered accordingly to the Profile and user Which you want to Reset)

Look for a File called Preferences(that’s the file stores this stats data), close your browser profile, delete the file and Restart the browser profile, You will have your Stats Reset…

I have created a temp profile in brave just to test it for you…

Some settings will also Reset, Make sure you’re Alright about that before you delete the preferences file…

At First, Create a temp/test profile, browse something for 15+ mins in that temp profile and delete the preferences file of that temp profile and see the Negative consequences of what deleting that preferences file is doing to that temp profile and if you think you can deal with those changes, then delete the preferences file of your Main browser profile’s preference file(s) and Restart the Browser Profile for the changes to take effect.

Bard Makes the deletion of Preferences file appears to be Super complicated…

But i’ll make it easy for you…

1. Export Your Passwords
  2. Take a screenshot of Extensions which You have installed or Turn on Developer mode in Extensions and perform a Google search about the Extensions ID, It will help you to get the direct chrome store link much faster than performing a search on Chrome store or Google

Do this for all extensions and create a New Bookmark Folder called “Extensions” and add all of the Extensions chrome Store links to that Extension Bookmarks folder… once you have done this process, Export the Bookmarks

If you have configured settings for Extensions, Most of the Extensions offers a way to Export settings, Export the settings of Extensions which you care about(Before deleting the Preferences file).

1. Close all your Browser Profiles 1st, then Look out for the correct user profile → You can confirm your profile using your profile icon… on my previous reply’s image, you will find a file called “Google Profile”, it will have the profile icon which is associated with the Brave browser profile which you want to reset… Once you made sure that’s the profile which you want to Reset and you have closed all your browser windows, Delete the preferences file.

New year, New me ? well, then you don’t need the history data, If that gets deleted, Be Alright with that…

Anyways, these are the negative consequences which you should know before you delete the preferences file. Restart the browser profile for the changes to take effect.

1. Import Bookmarks and Saved Passwords
  2. Right click on the extensions folder and select open all(19) in new window (19 here refers to 19 extensions assuming you have installed 19 extensions…)
    At the Right side of all Extension titles, you’ll see Remove from Brave… use the Remove from Brave option and Add to brave instantly, this will truly get your extensions a Reset.

Thanks for the assistance, truly that is a lot of work you put in and sorry for not getting back to you sooner but I think it’s also good evidence about how ridiculous the process is to simply reset a bit of data that should be within 2 or 3 simple clicks (if that). It’s also ONLY for Windows, so it would be nice if Brave could make things more simple and for all the platforms it’s on to be able to reset Brave stats without having to jump through hoops… Does anyone know if this feature request has been submitted? I would assume so but… :man_shrugging:t2: Anyway thanks again for the info

@User.1.000.000.000,
Unfortunately there is no “easy” way to do this. That’s not to say that the way to do this is hard, just that it’s not conventional and does require some additional work. The instructions for both OS are the same, but the file needed is in different places.

To do this:

1. For macOS, open finder and go to:
    ~/Users/[your user name]/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser
    For Windows OS, go to:
    C:/Users/[your user name]/AppData/Local/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/User Data/
  2. Find the Default folder or, if you’re using a profile with a different name, find the folder with that name instead of Default
  3. In that folder, look for the Preferences file and open it up with a text editor. If you’re using a basic text editor it will look all garbled and unformatted but that’s okay.
  4. Use the Find function (ctrl + f or cmd + f on macOS) and search for “stats” and delete the following values and everything in the big rectangle shown below:

Note that in the image above I’m using VSCode to view the file so it is nicely formatted, but you should still be able to find all those same values together after searching.

Hope this helps.

Thank you as well, may I ask though is there going to be an implementation to make it easier in the future?

I don’t think we have any plans to include this in the desktop build — but i’ll do some digging to confirm.

Appreciate it, it would be nice, though I understand it being low on the priority list

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.