How do I allow autoplay for just one time only?

Description of the issue:

I went to a site with frequent unwanted autoplay videos, but in this case, I was actually interested in watching a video.

I want to opt into Autoplay for one time only. This was easy to do in the old Brave (Muon). However, it’s a regression, because now there is no way to do this.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Hit the “Play button with an X in it” icon, at far right of address bar.

2. Your only two choices are Allow or Block. Hit Allow.

3. There’s no way to just allow it for one time only, without forcing the user to make a permanent binding decision that will be used for all times in the future.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

The page refreshes, and the video plays. However, it will do this for all future site visits, which is unwanted.

Expected result:

The video should have played once, but not Autoplay. This applies to all future page visits, and also to many sites that self-refresh themselves when the video is over (to play another video in sequence, indefinitely, which might not be wanted).

Reproduces how often:

100% reproducible.

Brave Version(about:brave):

The about:brave feature is buggy now:

This site can’t be reached

The webpage at chrome://brave/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

ERR_INVALID_URL

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):

100% reproducible

Additional Information:

Because this feature was easy to do in old Brave (Muon), this is a regression in usability.

There needs to be a one-time-only option, so that the Allow or Block choice is not deemed to be permanent. It would be nice to separate the Allow/Block decision with a checkbox “Always” that would make it a one-time-only selection if unchecked.

The workaround is to manually remove the URL from the list of allowed Autoplay sites, after watching the desired video, which is somewhat tedious:

1. Hamburger menu (upper right of browser), then Settings (at bottom).

2. Advanced (at far bottom).

3. Content settings (under “Privacy And Security”).

4. Click the arrow to the right of “Autoplay”.

5. By URL in the list, select the nearby hamburger menu, then Delete.

6. Set the “Ask when a site wants to autoplay” switch at top, if it has become cleared.

7. Back all the way out of the menus, or just close the browser tab.

So, it turns what was a single click, into a pretty deep digging through the menu, to undo an unwanted permanent selection of Autoplay preference.

Josh

Clic address bar’s padlock

jpg

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.