How can I see whats taking up my CPU resources

Description of the issue:
Sometimes my laptop fans start running hard, upon checking htop, I see two out of four brave threads are taking up 97%. Is there any way I can figure out what exactly its doing, or why this is happening? Are there specific tabs or smth, or how can I prevent this

Expected result:
To not take up so much CPU resources

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Latest PopOS (Ubuntu 20.04) version

in the brave menu click more tools then task manager

hope that help and have a nice day

That’s pretty neat, thanks. Although it doesn’t really explain it yet.
If you check the images, you see that the Brave task manager says very little resources are used, but htop thinks differently about that unfortunately…

Moreso, I can’t even find the PIDs htop is giving back in the task manager of brave

@Davincible,
Looks like it could be an HWA situation.

Can you try disabling Hardware Acceleration in settings to see if this resolves the issue?

You’ll find this in Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration

1 Like

Hm yeah that did fix it.

Background on the issue: It has happened quite frequently before, but at random intervals. It doesn’t always happen, but it does happen sometimes.

Is there anyway I can resolve the real issue so I can turn hardware acceleration back on?

Edit: atleast I think it did, I turned it off, and restarted. But maybe it went away because I just restarted, not sure

@Davincible,
I’m not entirely clear myself on why the browser has the issues it does with HWA. It is a common issue though and the devs have been looking into it. In the interim, if you don’t need HWA enabled I would just keep it off – you shouldn’t notice any real difference in browser performance.

Alright, thanks. Looking forward to an update

you very welcome and sorry for late replay and glad that you got helped by the brave team member Mattches

and have a nice day both of you

Could be due to open-source drivers instead of propitiatory drivers. If Nvidia you may want to upgrade to the latest one to fix it.

I’m running PopOS, so should come with the right Nvidia drivers. I have the ones below installed

Little FYI; it started doing it again. I have one thread running at 100% now for brave. HWA still off

Does it start when you visit any specific sites?

I’m not sure, as I do have way too many tabs open (with tab suspender), but the Brave task manager is also not really telling me anything.

Can you try disabling the tab suspender extension and check? May be its causing the spike

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.