Home Screen Quick Action: New Private Tab no longer works

Description of the issue:

3D-touch or long-pressing the app icon from the home screen opens up an iOS home screen quick actions menu. When launching the app from the “New Private Tab” item in the quick actions menu, Brave does not open in Private Browsing mode.

Steps to Reproduce

1. Swipe to close the Brave app if it is open.
  2. Long-press (or 3D-touch depending on iPhone version) the Brave app icon.
  3. Tap “New Private Tab”

Actual Result:

I don’t have the ability to upload attachments because I am a new user. This is a link to a video screen recording.

Expected Result:

The app should open in Private Browsing mode and open a new tab.

Reproduces how often:

Every time.

Operating System and Brave Version:

iOS 15.2
Brave Version 1.33 (21.12.14.16)

@wyattstorch,
Can you tell me which iPhone model you have? This action still works for me on my iPad using iOS 15.2. Do Private tabs open as intended if you open them from within the browser?

I have an iPhone 8.

Private tabs do work otherwise just fine! I am still able to use private browsing by opening the tab switcher and tapping “Private” at the bottom left.

In addition, if the Brave app is already open on my phone and I use the quick actions menu, it correctly switches to private. This bug only happens on a fresh start of the Brave app (i.e. the app has been closed via swipe). It seems to have started happening about the time that the change to add the sliding-up animation to the tab switcher view.

2 Likes

@wyattstorch,
Thank you for the information. We still have a lot of team members on holiday PTO but I’ve messaged the iOS team internally to see if anyone has an idea or solution for this. If we can reproduce the error I’ll log an issue on our Github for the team to review.

1 Like

Thanks. I just verified as well that the same behavior is affecting the “Scan QR Code” menu item from the home screen quick actions menu as well. If Brave is already open, it correctly opens the camera to quickly scan a QR code, but if Brave is closed, it just launches the app as normal.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.