History and bookmarks lost! need help! very upset!

Description of the issue:*

How can this issue be reproduced?

Expected result:

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Mobile Device details SAMSUNG NOTE 8

Hi-

I downloaded Brave on my Note 8 earlier this year, however, recently started experiencing app crashes. All other apps on my phone opened and worked properly except Brave. I had an extensive Brave search history/list of bookmarks that I TRULY needed to keep and was hesitant to un/reinstall.

Because you guys don’t have a way for me to get immediate help (:unamused:), I scoured through hundreds of threads to find assistance. I soon came across the following post:

One of your help team members states that there will be a prompt prior to uninstalling asking if you’d like to keep bookmarks, history, etc. I was so happy to finally find an answer that I proceeded to uninstall the app as suggested.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK HAPPENED???!

THERE WASNT ANY PROMPT ASKING IF I WANTED TO KEEP MY ORIGINAL SETTINGS/DATA!!!

INSTEAD, THE APP UNINSTALLED AND SEEMINGLY DELETED EVERYTHING!!!

I need to recover my history/bookmarks!! It is super important. Is there any way to do this? Please let me know ASAP!! I’m using Samsung Note 8.

Thank you,

B

Hi @DroidUser, appreciate you writing in! By any chance, did you save your Sync code? You should be able to restore your bookmarks that way.

Hi Asad! Thank you so much for your response! I don’t believe the sync option was available during the time (approx. 7/15). I uninstalled and reinstalled the app today and it was the first time I had registered my device to sync. Is there any other way to retrieve my bookmarks/history? I looked on my samsung cloud and see that Brave was backed up on 7/15, however, when I restore it the bookmarks/history doesn’t appear.

My grandfather and I had gone through a list of his favourite books/poems/places to visit before he passed away this summer, and I had bookmarked them all/had them listed in my search history…desperately trying to get it all back.

@DroidUser,

:point_up: The thread in which you’re referring to is in the context of Desktop browser – note the categorization of the thread:

Given that you seem to have already un/reinstalled the browser, I don’t think there’s any way for you to recover your data at this point. I do apologize for the confusion and the inconvenience – I’ve been pushing to implement a backup option outside of Sync for this exact reason but there are several high priority issues/features/fixes that take precedence at this time.

Hi Mattches-

Thank you for your response. Would Brave have created a log on my phone- when installed- that kept track of my bookmarks/search history?

1 Like

@DroidUser,
Any logs/lingering data is removed along with the app. Again, I do understand the unfortunate nature of this situation and empathize with your dilemma. I’ll be using your case (if that’s okay with you) as further argument for why we need an option to backup data outside of Brave Sync.

Sure. Thank you for your help, Mattches :slight_smile:

@DroidUser,
You’re very welcome – I apologize again for the irritation I’m sure this caused on our end. Hopefully we can implement something to help other users avoid this same situation in future releases.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.