When highlighting words on web pages, right clicking and selecting “search google for…”, the page will seemingly load indefinitely.
**Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary)
Go to any web page with words on it.
Highlight any word. Right Click.
Select ‘Search Google’ in the right clicked menu.
A page should load from google search of the word you highlighted.
Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
I get just a white screen that won’t load.
A google search page of the word or words you highlighted should show up.
Reproduces how often:
Happens almost 100% I have messed around with my extensions but here is what happens: I disable an extension and reload. I then do a highlighted search, it works. I reload the page again and search a second time, the infinite loading returns.
Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
I’ve checked everything you mention… my settings are all set as you want them, and google is my default search engine. I tried highlighting something and pressing space to test that, all that happens is I’m scrolled to the bottom of the page.
When a page is in this loading loop, right clicking will not work. I hit F12 though, was able to get to that menu. No Throttling is already selected. No change. Might be of interest, there is no activity showing in that menu unless I press the X and refresh the page, in which it will then load.
Hi. Both in a private window and a test profile, this highlight search works correctly again.
I assume this means an extension is causing an issue. I can try to trouble shoot again but as I said earlier, it seemed the issue would reoccur after a second refresh from disabling multiple extensions at a time.
In your main profile, try disabling all extensions and see if the function works. If it does (consistently), try re-enabling them one at a time and re-testing until you find the offending extension.
Okay. I am in the middle of testing and I am confused. So far, 8 extensions seem to intermittently cause the issue. It doesn’t seem to be just one. I’ll continue testing and get back to this thread, but how can multiple extensions be the cause?
I am stumped. Hopefully someone can further assist. Here are all the extensions that intermittently cause the highlight search to break.
reddit enhancment suite
Social Fixer for Facebook
Natural Reader Text to Speech
google images restored
The following extensions broke search when reenabled alone but after browser restarts, highlight search might not work on first go, but after a failed first try, it seems to work until a browser restart.
Given the inconsistency I’m not sure how much that narrowed it down but I do appreciate you testing all that. I suspect that this still does have something to do with your specific profile — I have Honey installed and just installed tamper monkey as well and I cannot reproduce this issue on my end.
I’ll have to do a little more digging here, appreciate your patience.
I’m sorry, but where exactly do I place the string of words in the shortcut menu? I tried adding it to the end of ‘target’ and ‘start in’ and Windows gave me an error. Sorry I’m not great when things act up like this.
IF there are NO flag switches, then I located the proposed fix, switch at the tail end of all the switches.
And I made sure to also include the necessary single SPACE characters, because there needs to be a single SPACE character that separates all the switches.
I am using 2 flag switches.
So, the altered Command Line string that I use, became:
open -a "Brave Browser.app" -n --args --disable-client-side-phishing-detection [FOLLOWED BY MANY SWITCHES, AND THEN THE PROPOSED FIX, SWITCH:] --enable-features=NavigationThreadingOptimizations --flag-switches-begin [FLAG SWITCHES] --flag-switches-end
That is the Command Line string that I entered into the Mac’s Terminal.app window, in order to start up Brave Browser.