High resource usage leading to battery drain

I recently switched to brave-browser on my new laptop. I’m noticing that the browser is using lots of resource (mainly gpu I think) while I’m watching media on sites like youtube or loading bunch of tabs because of which battery is draining very quick. I tried this on other laptop but their it was not happening on them. I tried disabling hardware acceleration off but then also it was still the same. I haven’t touched any flags or neither do I use any extensions.
If I’m using the same tab on MS Edge I’m getting avg 7 hours of battery life but on brave I’m getting 5 hours.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open Brave
  2. Visit youtube & watch any random video.

Expected result: Fans cranks up. High resource usage shown on task manager, battery draining.

Brave Version: Version 1.16.76 Chromium: 86.0.4240.198 (Official Build) (64-bit)

What I can tell you is that for years, every time I use laptop , I unplug the battery totally and use a laptop without a battery,this how I save my battery but make sure you put the extension cord where you cannot interrupt the plugs easily as it will switch off the computer.

do you not use laptops with non-removable battery ?

Every time I use laptop ,I remove my battery .

There are so many variables… For seven hours vs five, are you watching in the same resolution on youtube, same volume, same other tabs open, is available network bandwidth different, etc?

In Windows 10, you can open up the task manager and watch the usage of the cpu(s) and gpu(s) on the performance tab. In Brave and the browser that shall not be named, you can also open up the task manager to see what it shows as it’s CPU use. Finally, using GPU-Z is a good way to visualize differences in the GPU load shown on the sensors tab.

I’ll experiment with this for today & see the difference & come back with the result.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.