High memory usage when idle or downloading

This seems to be a common issue for me, I have tried the basic troubleshooting steps and none of it seems to fix this, and I have no addons running in the background. It happens when I either leave the browser running the background or if a file or torrent is being downloaded. It uses anywhere from 1GB to 16GB of ram, I have 32GB of ram on my computer. How can fix this, also brave rewards is hot garbage.

I also have been seeing huge memory usage on Windows 10. If I open the Brave task manager (shift-esc) and delete the Brave Rewards process, the memory usage immediately drops. But I often see over 4GB memory usage and rising with 10 twitter tabs open. If I let it go it uses up all memory and crashes the computer.

@markg @LTPoison,
Can you try disabling Hardware Acceleration in settings to see if this resolves the issue?

You’ll find this in Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration

@Mattches thanks but I already had hardware acceleration turned off. It still jacks the memory through the roof regularly. Unfortunately Brave has really been unstable the past couple of weeks. Using the latest version as follows:

Version 1.17.75 Chromium: 87.0.4280.88 (Official Build) (64-bit)

@markg,
I’m curious if you have any extensions installed at this time? Sometimes extensions can conflict with browser processes – I would test temporarily disabling them and see if performance improves.

I just checked and I have no Brave extensions installed.

I’m using NextDNS (separate installation from Brave) to cut down on tracking, Could this have something to do with it? I’ve tried turning it off but does not seem to change things.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.