Description of the issue: When the app first starts up on iOS (either after it’s been manually closed or if it’s been dormant for a day or so), it uses roughly 30mb of data, even if there are no open tabs.
Subsequent uses of the app don’t appear to have the problem.
Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):
- Close the app by double pressing the home button on the phone and swiping on the Brave app to remove it from the list of active apps.
- Check the current data usage for Brave
- Settings -> Cellular
- Scroll down to the Cellular Data section and find the number for Brave
- Navigate back to Settings, so the number will refresh next time we check it (not sure if this is necessary)
- Press the Home button and then open Brave
- Repeat step 2
Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!): Data used by Brave increases by roughly 30mb
Data usage by Brave increases by no more than the amount needed to refresh all open tabs (or negligibly, if there are no open tabs)
Reproduces how often: I’ve noticed it every time I follow the above steps, as well as some times when it’s been a day or two since I used the browser.
Version 1.6.2 (18.05.29.10)
Reproducible on current live release (yes/no): unknown
iPhone 7 plus. iOS version 11.4.1 (15G77)