High CPU and RAM Usage

Disabled Grammarly lets see if that helps.

1 Like

@SamGreenwood,
Thanks. Again, I’d highly recommend testing with a fresh profile. If you do and the browser spikes without extensions and prior browsing data/cache we can be sure that the issue lies within the software itself.

@Mattches Ok I’ll try that.

1 Like

Switched back to the main profile and it seems to be acting normal now.

Good to see it working better, given the amount of extensions may always cause CPU/RAM issues. If it occurs again, start with a new profile with no extensions.

Guess whati it happenned again.

I just thought of something looking at the screenshots I noticed that the resource util of everything lower the 500k RAM wasn’t changing it was just a couple of tabs (actually PWAs) that normally act odd most often Discourse forums and Outlook.

I’m having the same issue, but it’s not really new. And it almost always happens when I’m loading Kickstarter project pages. Brave just starts using +90% CPU and all my RAM. I have 32GB of ram and it puts 27GB (basically everything that was free) into modified memory (between shareable and process private). When force closing Brave all memory is back to zeroed. Considering it’s with specific webpages I’m not sure if it’s because of an extension.
edit: actually might be my darkreader extension doing this

Brave hogging RAM

after I force close Brave

There’s defiitely a problem here. Could everyone give a list of extensions they have installed so we could determene if @Mattches is correct that it’s an extension. @ikwtif Could you send a screenshot that’s itemized by app (more like Task Manager in Windows?

Forgive me but this thread is exhausting me quite a bit. Everyone, please read carefully:
Right now, all we are trying to do is troubleshoot and determine whether the resource hogging is a product of the software by itself, or if its a combination of the software (brave) and other data and/or extensions installed in it.

@SamGreenwood, you stated:

Yes, that was to be expected. What I wanted to know was whether or not the same resource spikes occurred after a [reasonable] amount of time browsing normally on the newly created profile? Again, if the answer to this is no, then we can be very confident that it has to do with bad data “stuck” in your browser or one of the [many] extensions you have installed at this time.

Alternatively, if you don’t want to use a new profile for any real amount of time, instead what you can do is disable every extension you have in your main browser profile and see if this improves performance. If it does, then we can begin re-enabling them one at a time and find the culprit.

The most common fixes for issues like this are generally:

1. Hardware Acceleration conflict – disabling it resolves.
  2. Bad/conflicting extension installed – removing extension resolves.
  3. Bad cache/data in the browser somewhere – typically clearing cache/browsing data for all time resolves the issue.

I think it’s a problem with how Brave deals with PWA compatible sites and PWAs. When I closed the window I had the Brave Community open in (main profile) and I still have another window from that profile open. Before I closed that window RAM was running between 1.5GB and 6GB now with that window closed Brave is hovering between 0.65GB and 0.8GB.

Actually it just seems to be whatever tab is in the foreground.

@Mattches Today I got a Thinkpad X1 Fold to review for my blog (thetechnewssource.com). I’m mentioning this because Brave so far seems to be a to be acting normally on it. In that the only thing to cause RAM spikes in Brave on it so far has been Google Docs. I’m still having issues on my computer though.

@SamGreenwood,
Based of your previous replies, it appears that a fresh profile runs as intended without the spikes. Which means it’s likely an extension installed that’s causing the spikes, or you may need to clear your cache/browsing data (for “all time” to be safe).

I don’t entirely remember but I’m pretty sure that I had the same issues in the blank profile and as I said I’m not having the same issues with the ThinkPad even though it’s synced and has all my extensions.

@SamGreenwood,
I would confirm whether or not the blank profile produces the same results. And, again, I would recommend you clear your browsing data/cache in your original profile and see if this helps the issue.

So for it seems to be running better in the blank profile. I’m not denying that that would solve it, I’m trying to find the root cause. It seems that there is something causing there issues on my computer. I think it has something to do with the specific hardware. But that still doesn’t explain why I didn’t have these issues as badly before I clean installed Windows on the computer last weekend. The last time I complained about performance it was nowhere near this bad. My issues only really started a day or so after I ran the clean install. Is it possible that it’s a software conflict?

I noticed that I have an update ready for next relaunch. I think Brave may of been trying to update. is there a way I can tell when the update was downloaded?

Also, other people are complaining about it so there must be something. Is it possible that there’s some problem with how Brave allocates RAM in certain circumstances? Let’s see what happens when I use my regular profiles with all the extensions disabled. I’ll try that tomorrow.

One more thing, is thee a way I could open Brave’s error log?

Just happened on the Fold but it appeared to be CPU driven. It didn’t appear to be using more RAM. But I’m testing side by side now.

Update: doesn’t look like it’s Grammarly. I’m running Google Docs as the open non-suspended tab with the curser in the document and Grammarly on. I’ve not seen it even jump over a GB of RAM.