Have not received any ads for a few months

Apologies for another thread about Ad issues!

I have been using Brave for quite some time now without issue, but about 3 months ago completely stopped receiving ads.

I am running Windows 10, and Brave version 1.21.76 Chromium: 89.0.4389.86 (1.21.76 Chromium: 89.0.4389.86 (Official Build) (64-bit) Revision 0c2dac31bc21e806a791641316e99920f84ea52c-refs/branch-heads/4389@{#1472})

Notifications are all working fine, I do not use Focus Assist and am in a supported region (UK).

Everything appears to be fine, but haven’t seen an pop up for months.

I am behind a pi-hole (https://pi-hole.net/) but have been for 3 years now and have never previously had issues with Brave Ads that were caused by pi-hole.

I suspect the pi-hole is blocking Brave from refilling the ads catalog on your device. (Near as I can tell, something was changed in Brave about 3 months ago that is causing the issue. It happens with VPNs, too.) Can you connect directly to the Internet instead of through the pi-hole for a few minutes, long enough for the ads catalog to refill? (You will know it’s refilling when a notification ad appears.) Then you can reconnect through your pi-hole. If that starts the ads flowing again, you will need to refill the ads catalog about once per day. @tmancey , can you shed any further light on this?

Hi @rosiecar ,

Thanks for your reply. I have had pi-hole disabled for a couple of hours now and nothing has changed.

Do you know the addresses or hostnames Brave contacts to update the ads catalog?

I can check the pi-hole and firewall logs to see if anything stands out.

I have had pi-hole disabled for a little over 24 hours now and there has been no change so have re-enabled it.

@rosiecar @tmancey Could either of you provide me with the addresses that are contacted to refill the catalog so I can see if anything is getting blocked at this end please?

Hi @konkeydong if you are available for a screen share, please reach out to [email protected] as I am available right now, if that works for you. Thanks, Terry

Just seen your message, will email you now.

about 2 months
ago completely stopped receiving ads.

And I’m on V1.21.77 Brave is up to date
Chromium: 88.0.4324.152 (Official Build) (64-bit)
win 7

i open to a screen share with add dev at
some point should you need to dig
further into the issue

Many thanks for your help earlier @tmancey.

The issue was not with pi-hole but because I connect through a VPN.

Many thanks for your help
and support earlier tmancey

@konkeydong I have the same issue. The workaround is to close Brave, turn off the VPN, restart Brave, wait about 15 minutes, then re-enable the VPN. That allows the catalog to refill with about a day’s worth of ads. They’re working on a permanent fix, but this works in the mean time.

Thanks @rosiecar, I did confirm this was the issue with Terry last week and disabling the VPN does refill the catalog for day. Unfortunately, I can only do this about once a week as the VPN is router-based and there are people here working pretty much around the clock at the moment.

@tmancey Have you heard anything back regarding the VPN information from last week?

@konkeydong Yes, that does make it a little more difficult for you. At present I’m the only one at my house who uses the VPN until I can get it set up on the router, and I’m also the only one participating in Brave Rewards, so I can do what I want.

I, too, am looking forward to Brave finding a more permanent solution to this issue so that I don’t have to keep using the workaround.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.