A recent Fedora/Cinnamon DE update caused Brave Browser to become unusable. Text, graphics, and most everything essential from a browser window disappeared. Using a backup browser, I found a suggestion to turn off hardware acceleration in Brave Browser which was darned difficult with no text in the browser, but I managed. The contents of the update made before the problem surfaced:
Upgrade cinnamon-5.8.4-1.fc38.x86_64 @updates Upgraded cinnamon-5.8.2-1.fc38.x86_64 @@System Upgrade cinnamon-calendar-server-5.8.4-1.fc38.x86_64 @updates Upgraded cinnamon-calendar-server-5.8.2-1.fc38.x86_64 @@System Upgrade cinnamon-themes-1:2.1.5-1.fc38.noarch @updates Upgraded cinnamon-themes-1:2.1.2-1.fc38.noarch @@System Upgrade lightdm-settings-1.8.2-1.fc38.noarch @updates Upgraded lightdm-settings-1.8.1-1.fc38.noarch @@System Upgrade mint-themes-1:2.1.5-1.fc38.noarch @updates Upgraded mint-themes-1:2.1.2-1.fc38.noarch @@System Upgrade mint-themes-gtk3-1:2.1.5-1.fc38.noarch @updates Upgraded mint-themes-gtk3-1:2.1.2-1.fc38.noarch @@System Upgrade mint-themes-gtk4-1:2.1.5-1.fc38.noarch @updates Upgraded mint-themes-gtk4-1:2.1.2-1.fc38.noarch @@System Upgrade mint-y-icons-1.6.7-1.fc38.noarch @updates Upgraded mint-y-icons-1.6.6-1.fc38.noarch @@System Upgrade mint-y-theme-1:2.1.5-1.fc38.noarch @updates Upgraded mint-y-theme-1:2.1.2-1.fc38.noarch @@System Upgrade nemo-5.8.4-1.fc38.x86_64 @updates Upgraded nemo-5.8.3-1.fc38.x86_64 @@System Upgrade nemo-extensions-5.8.4-1.fc38.x86_64 @updates Upgraded nemo-extensions-5.8.3-1.fc38.x86_64 @@System Upgrade nemo-search-helpers-5.8.4-1.fc38.x86_64 @updates Upgraded nemo-search-helpers-5.8.3-1.fc38.x86_64 @@System Upgrade selinux-policy-38.21-1.fc38.noarch @updates Upgraded selinux-policy-38.20-1.fc38.noarch @@System Upgrade selinux-policy-targeted-38.21-1.fc38.noarch @updates Upgraded selinux-policy-targeted-38.20-1.fc38.noarch @@System Upgrade slick-greeter-1.8.2-1.fc38.x86_64 @updates Upgraded slick-greeter-1.8.1-1.fc38.x86_64 @@System Upgrade slick-greeter-cinnamon-1.8.2-1.fc38.noarch @updates Upgraded slick-greeter-cinnamon-1.8.1-1.fc38.noarch @@System Upgrade xfce4-settings-4.18.3-1.fc38.x86_64 @updates Upgraded xfce4-settings-4.18.2-2.fc38.x86_64 @@System
Since the updates favored Cinnamon DE and Mint Themes, I tried switching to other environments, Gnome and LXDE, and multiple variations of themes in each (found a new one that I like), but no change made a perceptible difference in the browser’s performance. Brave Browser was still unusable and essentially displaying search results as a blank page, possibly with result titles, but no further details. Most graphics from any search or known page, like a weather forecast, were omitted. The home page photo was not displayed. It was simply a white snow storm.
I’m not looking for solutions, simply reporting an experience so that it might help others. I would be interested in knowing why the updates made caused the problem and if I should submit a bug report, but at the moment I don’t know if I have sufficient details to make a bug report useful.
Thanks all for your continued support of this excellent browser option!