Hardware Acceleration affects HDR videos on Youtube

Description of the issue:

When I publish 4K HLG-2 videos from sony a7iii, there are some strange things happening in Youtube. The colors look clipped.

This happens when I play the videos on my laptop. Other people also experienced the same issues in other computers.
But when I watch the video on my mobile phone the colors look OK. Also, when I play the video in VLC player, it looks OK.
After discussing this issue on Color Grading Central facebook group, I was told that this could be fixed if I turned Hardware Acceleration OFF. In fact it solved the issue. But why is this happening ?

Exact URL of the website in question:

https://youtu.be/lPsfUAjKI3o

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes/no)

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no):

Does the site work as expected when using Chrome?
No. same issue

Brave version (check About Brave):

Version 1.17.73 Chromium: 87.0.4280.67 (Official Build) (64-bit)

1 Like

UPDATE:

After installing the lasted GPU drivers (Nvidia Studio Drivers) I manage to solve the problem on my desktop computer (It has a GTX 1070). Now I can watch the video on YouTube with no issues. Still, on my laptop that has an 2 GPUs (Intel HD Graphics 4600 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M), the problem remains. So probably the issue has to do with the GPU and drivers and this is why some people experience the video with clipped colors and others don´t. This is why the problem with the colors is gone when you turn OFF “Hardware Acceleration” in your browser settings.
It depends on the drivers and if your GPU can handle HDR video.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.