Handling image fallback for autoplay videos blocked by brave

Description of the issue:

Brave prevents autoplay of videos by default, which is an issue for sites that rely on video to convey information. Browsers tend to support image fallback when videos are not played, but Brave’s default blocking of video autoplay does not currently present the fallback image in place of the video - leading to a blank area on the webpage I am working on. Since the address bar button that notifies people that autoplay has been prevented is not obvious and most users don’t know about it - the result is that there seems to be no reliable way to use video to automatically convey information in a webpage that Brave will handle effectively.

Perhaps I am missing a feature here, but it seems like as a minimum Brave should display the fallback image when autoplay has been blocked. Ideally a ‘click’ overlay could be added to ensure people know they can click the image to elect to play the video.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Embed a video in a webpage and set it to autoplay.
  2. View the page in Brave with default settings.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

No video plays and the user has no obvious way of knowing that the video is missing.

Expected result:

Either the video plays (as most browsers do) or the user has a very clear notification of what they need to do to view the missing content. Ideally a fallback image will also be displayed.

Reproduces how often:

Always.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

Win 10 64 Bit
Version 1.2.41 Chromium: 79.0.3945.88 (Official Build) (64-bit)

1 Like

I view sites regularly that embed Twitter videos, and Brave is just not able to handle it at all in a proper user-friendly manner. It is sadly making Brave not usable for me.

as a user you should be able to click the button in the url bar to whitelist sites for autoplay. the problem is that a) most people probably don’t know they need to do this and b) there is no marker on the page to inform the user that this has happened.

Thank you, ura-soul, but even that does not work for me.

oh ok - what about that function doesn’t work for you?

Please see Embedded Twitter videos do not work/play on websites

thanks, but that does not resolve this issue

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.