Greaselion icons

My brave apps icons are now static I can’t move them and greaselion icons started showing up this morning.

2 Likes

Same issue as well using Ubuntu. Greaselion icons appear when launching brave://apps at startup. Icons disappear when I hit F5 or click on a new tab (Shows homepage - brave://apps).

@JSan and @valsi Appreciate y’all sharing this as an issue. Part of the challenge though is both of you have omitted a lot of information, which can make it challenging for anyone to respond. Let’s face it, people don’t always want to respond with a lot of questions. This is part of why a template is created when topics are first created.

That said, I will give a list of things below of information you’ll need to provide in order to receive any assistance or for anyone to try to replicate. Some of that may be steps for you to attempt and report on as well.

• Which version of Brave are you using? (Give actual version number, don’t just say “the latest” or something of that sort)

• Which OS are you using? (Such as Windows 11, Android 13, Ubuntu 18.04). @JSan I see you mentioned Ubuntu, but matters what type. For example, someone else reported an issue not long ago but revealed they are using Ubuntu 16.04. Unfortunately, Brave is only currently compatible with Ubuntu 18.04 or later. So kind of critical to know these little details/differences.

• To be clear, does greaselion show up and remain regardless, does it disappear when refreshed, or what? (If I’m seeing JSan right, it’s a temporary issue and everything appears correct if refreshed?)

• Are you noticing this happen with any particular PWA/Site, is it done randomly, or are they appearing in excess to the PWA you have saved there?

• Does this only happen if it’s going to brave://apps on startup? Such as if it’s going to Dashboard or some other site on startup and then go to brave://apps, does everything work just fine?

• Do you have any extensions? If so, can you try removing them or create a new browser profile that you can test this with? This just will help to confirm that’s not an issue with your current profile. (you’ll need to add the PWA to new profile if you choose that method)

Lastly…

• Does this happen if you test on Beta or Nightly?

Which version of Brave are you using? v1.58.135 Upgraded Chromium to 117.0.5938.140
Which OS are you using? Windows 11 Home Version 22H2
does it disappear when refreshed yes

• Are you noticing this happen with any particular PWA/Site, is it done randomly, or are they appearing in excess to the PWA you have saved there? I’m afraid I don’t know what you mean by “PWA” It just happens on the brave://apps/ page
    Does this only happen if it’s going to brave://apps on startup yes
    Do you have any extensions? yes
  • Does this happen if you test on Beta or Nightly? I haven’t tried those, but I do want to mention that this happened with Google Chrome also with the icons being stagnant, and not being able to rearrange them, so I switched to Brave and had no issues for weeks, and then the literally overnight the icons and page looked different, just like google chrome apps page. Before they were large icons you could move around on a page, now they are small icons, stuck in a certain position, which can’t be rearranged.

I created a new Brave account and deleting all extensions. I don’t get the Greaselion icons, but I do get the small icons as pictured above with OP which isn’t how my icons looked like when I first started using Brave.

@valsi the things showing up on brave://apps are Progressive Web Apps (PWA) you have added. By default, there’s nothing there and the page would look like in the screenshot below:

Then the link that says Learn how to install web apps takes you to the Chrome help center that talks about it. The link is https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/9658361?visit_id=638317199988661668-590800316&p=install_web_apps&rd=1 (@steeven @Mattches shouldn’t that link be stripped out and a Brave article written? Or we sticking to refer to Chrome articles for it?)

Which suggests this just may be an upstream Chromium thing. That said, I know I’ve tagged in Mattches to bring attention to the link issue, but I also know he’ll have more knowledge and insight on this. I’ve never messed with it so I’m not sure about them being able to be dragged and moved. But Greaselion icons are another issue, so wanted eyes on it.

Just to be clear though, you are indeed saying it was the things on brave://apps and you’re not thinking of things like the Dashboard where we keep our favorites, such as is in the screenshot below, right?

Because I can drag and drop my favorites as you’re mentioning.

I know exactly what you mean there, and no, I’m not talking about the dashboard. I wish I had taken a screenshot of what the apps page looked like before this change. Maybe I can find a pic on the internet to show you what I mean. I’ll post it if I can find one.

Here you go…

1 Like

Interesting issue. Can you both confirm that the apps are still showing up this way? I do wager this is probably an upstream Chromium issue. That said I just tried adding some on my end and all the icons appear as expected.

Hi Mattches, My icons are still not the way they were, and I noticed that if I right click and choose inspect, it was sparse on information compared to what it was when it worked correctly. I’m thinking you’ll find your apps page will show correctly for some time before it will “break”. If I left click on the Greaselion icons they will bring me to the Extensions page. I don’t know if that will help you or not. This chrome icon issue for apps when I was using google chrome happend on my Imac, and my wife’s windows 10 computer (she doesn’t use extentions) She also uses google chrome rarely, mostly she uses edge. I think the apps page problem is a chrome issue, not a “Brave” issue. I’m not sure about the Greaselion icons, but they started to show up when the chrome issue with apps page started.

1 Like

Stephen,

Thank you for the quick response and the template to provide further details from my evaluation. Below are my observations in red.

On Sat, Sep 30, 2023 at 5:57 PM Stephen Ray via Brave Community wrote:

Appreciate y’all sharing this as an issue. Part of the challenge though is both of you have omitted a lot of information, which can make it challenging for anyone to respond. Let’s face it, people don’t always want to respond with a lot of questions. This is part of why a template is created when topics are first created.

That said, I will give a list of things below of information you’ll need to provide in order to receive any assistance or for anyone to try to replicate. Some of that may be steps for you to attempt and report on as well.

• Which version of Brave are you using? (Give actual version number, don’t just say “the latest” or something of that sort): v1.58.135 (64 bit) for both PCs
  • Which OS are you using? (Such as Windows 11, Android 13, Ubuntu 18.04). [@JSan] I see you mentioned Ubuntu, but matters what type. For example, someone else reported an issue not long ago but revealed they are using Ubuntu 16.04. Unfortunately, Brave is only currently compatible with Ubuntu 18.04 or later. So kind of critical to know these little details/differences: Ubuntu 22.04 and 20.04.2 LTS (Bodhi Linxu 7 & 6 respectively)
  • To be clear, does greaselion show up and remain regardless, does it disappear when refreshed, or what? (If I’m seeing JSan right, it’s a temporary issue and everything appears correct if refreshed?): Based on further tests, greaselion DOES NOT appear when I launch Brave (brave://apps) for the first time after powering up or restarting PC. However, if I close Brave and relaunch (without powering down/on or restarting), greaselion appears in brave://apps. Additionally, greaselion DOES NOT appear when I click the Home Page or New Tab (all pointing to brave://apps) buttons.
  • Are you noticing this happen with any particular PWA/Site, is it done randomly, or are they appearing in excess to the PWA you have saved there? Of all the apps in my brave://apps site, only ONE is a PWA and that’s Google Calculator (https://calculator.apps.chrome/). Whereas, the rest are created shortcuts under More Tools. Greaselion is only appearing on the brave://apps site.
  • Does this only happen if it’s going to brave://apps on startup? Such as if it’s going to Dashboard or some other site on startup and then go to brave://apps, does everything work just fine? It only happens if it’s going to brave://apps on startup, if I close Brave and relaunch (see second statement above). If Dashboard or other sites are my default startups, greaselion DOES NOT show up on brave://apps.
  • Do you have any extensions? If so, can you try removing them or create a new browser profile that you can test this with? This just will help to confirm that’s not an issue with your current profile. (you’ll need to add the PWA to new profile if you choose that method). Only extension I have is Windscribe. Greaselion appears in brave://apps with and wthout Windscribe installed. Greaselion appears in brave://apps when Windscribe is turned on or off. As for using an additional profile, this situation has become a bit more complex. First, having two profiles and choosing one in the ‘Show On Startup’ window, greaselion DOES NOT appears for either profile. If I turn off ‘Show On Startup’, however, greaselion icons appear when I launch Brave for both profiles. Of course, the icons go away when I refresh the brave://apps site.

Lastly…

• Does this happen if you test on Beta or Nightly? Same issues with Beta Version 1.59.109 Chromium: 118.0.5993.21 (Official Build) beta (64-bit) and Nightly Version 1.60.73 Chromium: 118.0.5993.21 (Official Build) nightly (64-bit).
1 Like

Hi, I’ve provided all of that information above. Thanks.

1 Like

Yeah, appreciate. I know @Mattches should circle back to this or have appropriate people work on it. Main thing is going to be trying to replicate it. If others can’t replicate the same issues, then it becomes harder to work on.

I appreciate you guys trying to fix this for us. Here is a screenshot of my brave://apps page when I inspect it.

As I said before, this used to have a lot more information on it, when it worked correctly. BTW no Greaselion icons showed up this time, while first opening this page.

Please try and capture the console output when the greaselion icons do appear. Further, you are currently showing the Elements tab in the dev tools window — you’ll need to click the Console tab in that window and share that output:

Here ya go…

Same issue on Windows 10

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.