Google search returns blank page with "ERR_FAILED" message

Description

For the last day and a half I’ve been pretty much unable to Google search (image search doesn’t work either). I can browse to google.com and images.google.com, but typing something in the search bar and then pressing “Enter” leads me to a blank page with an “ERR_FAILED” message.

Steps to Reproduce

• If Google is your preferred search engine, type something on the address bar and press “Enter”.
  • If Google is NOT your preferred search engine, type “:g” followed by a space and a query, then press “Enter”.
  • Go to google.com or images.google.com, type something on the search bar and then press “Enter”.

Actual result:
Screenshot

Reproduces how often:
100% of the times.

Brave Version

about:brave info:

Brave: 0.21.18
V8: 6.4.388.41
rev: 580be782bc37ed8580dd22f79e1d2d355fddfb89
Muon: 4.8.2
OS Release: 17.4.0
Update Channel: Release
OS Architecture: x64
OS Platform: macOS
Node.js: 7.9.0
Brave Sync: v1.4.2
libchromiumcontent: 64.0.3282.140

Reproducible on current live release:
The problem only reproduces in 0.21.18. Not an issue on Beta-0.21.652, Beta-0.21.654, Developer-0.22.3.

Additional Information

It’s a pretty major “bug”, so I guess it must be something on my end. I would also like to note that nothing has changed (in terms of OS updates, about:preferences etc), the problem arose all of a sudden.

P.S. I haven’t reinstalled yet because I would like to hear your thoughts first. Please tell me if you need any more info on the issue or on my system.

Update 1

I deleted Brave.app and every related file/folder, then downloaded again 0.21.18 and put the “brave” folder back in /Users/…/Library/Application Support. The problem is still here, so the cause of it must be something in there.

Update 2

Following the same steps, I’m now getting a different error message.
Screenshot

Exact same problem here for the past 2 days also, and intermittently had the exact same issue about a month ago, with no help provided by anyone here. The last time, the issue somehow resolved itself after a day or two. After experiencing this twice now, it’s either Google actively blocking Brave for some reason, or most likely, a recent auto-update to Brave causing the issue (which is why I will eventually stop using this maddening bug-ridden software).

https://community.brave.com/t/google-search-not-working/15671

Can access Google.com directly, but immediately after entering a search term and clicking on the search button, only an error page is returned with “ERR_FAILED” message. Same error message is also returned by directly entering a search into the URL bar (with Google as search provider, works fine for other providers).

As before, this error only occurs in Brave browser, and doesn’t occur in Firefox or Internet Explorer. Unlike before, when this issue was sporadic over the course of several days, the issue has been constant for 2 days now, rendering Google completely unusable from within Brave. Error occurs with shields up or down.

I’ve already once had to delete my user profile and do a complete reinstall due to other bugs (had one pinned Amazon tab that would constantly reopen itself after every time I closed it), and I won’t be doing that again. This browser has so much promise, but for something that’s based on Chromium, I just don’t understand how it can have basic functionality issues like these

Brave 0.21.18
V8 6.4.388.41
rev 580be78
Muon 4.8.2
OS Release 6.1.7601
Update Channel Release
OS Architecture x64
OS Platform Microsoft Windows
Node.js 7.9.0
Brave Sync v1.4.2
libchromiumcontent 64.0.3282.140

Hi @apofenia @AFD,

There’s an issue logged for this. Added your +1 to the issue.

Thanks for reporting. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.