Google Maps images stretched (wrong aspect ratio)

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Delete the any text above the line separator below before posting

Description of the issue:
Photos in Google Maps appear slightly stretched horizontally.

Exact URL of the website in question:
https://google.com/maps/

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes/no)
yes

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?
no

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no):
no

Does the site work as expected when using Chrome?
yes

Brave version (check About Brave):

@meeeee,
Can you try opening your Shields panel on maps.google.com and change the Device Recognition setting to Allow all and allow the page to refresh? This should resolve the issue.

Thank you for the reply but that did not resolve the issue.

@meeeee,
Can you share a screenshot of the way maps appears as you see it?

This shows Chrome on the left side and Brave on the right.

@meeeee,
Yeah I do see the difference there on your end.
I also so it on my end, but I actually saw it in Chrome. Then in Brave after refreshing. I realized that I’d had uBlock origin enabled in Chrome and I couldn’t reproduce the issue when it wasn’t enabled.

I think Shields (and uBlock) may be blocking a particular tracker on first load that halts image rendering – but you should be able to refresh the page and have the image appear normal.

Ok but the idea of disabling shields as a solution is a little off-putting (they were disabled in my screenshot).

@meeeee,
Perhaps I was unclear – if you leave Shields up and refresh, it should display correctly as well.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.