Google Hangouts Extension - Cannot Make Calls

Extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-hangouts/nckgahadagoaajjgafhacjanaoiihapd

Issue: The Google Hangouts Extension doesn’t allow for outgoing calls. It gets infinitely stuck on a “Calling…” prompt and never actually connects the call.

Reproduction:

1. Open Hangouts
  2. Click on “New Conversation” button
  3. Enter phone number into search box.
  4. Select the “Call” option for the number entered.

Expected Result: For the call to be connected and Google Hangouts to display the “In Voice Call” status with a call timer and phone dial pad. I am able to successfully use this extension on Google Chrome as expected.

Additional Details: My shield settings are set to allow this extension to have permission via the on/off toggle. I have disabled all the settings listed here temporarily and am still unable to make a call. Edit: just realized the shield toggle here isn’t to allow/deny permissions but rather turns on/off the extension.

Brave: Version 0.68.138 Chromium: 77.0.3865.75 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Extension: version 2019.411.420.3

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know, we’ll take a look. Can you also disable all Shields settings in the Shields panel and try again? Let’s see if that works.

1 Like

@CynosureEPR,
I’m seeing this same issue on my end – all other functions of the extension work though. I’m doing some additional testing to see why the call isn’t going through. Can you test the same thing at hangouts.google.com? See if you can make a call from the website – note that you’ll have to allow Mic access before calls can be made.

1 Like