Google Hangouts and Meet - Microphone stops working ~2-5 minutes into a video call

Description of the issue:
Very strange behavior. About 2-5 minutes into a call on Google Hangouts or Google Meet, the other person can no longer hear me speaking. Interestingly, in Meet the indicator graphic still moves when the mic is activates (e.g., when I speak, I can see the little green lights moving, indicating that I’m speaking).

Also, the other person’s mic seems to go into mute mode randomly [this may not be the same issue]

This happens in shields up or shields down mode.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Beginning a call in Google Hangouts
  2. Beginning a call in Google Meet

Expected result:

Version
[Version 1.2.43 Chromium: 79.0.3945.130 (Official Build) (64-bit)]
MacOS Catalina 10.15.2

Additional Information:

I’ve enabled autoplay for *.google.com, hangouts.google.com, and meet.google.com
I’ve also allowed the mic on both sites.

@espencer,
Can you tell me if you have Autoplay enabled for hangouts.google.com?

I’ve enabled autoplay for *.google.com, hangouts.google.com, and meet.google.com
I’ve also allowed the mic on both sites.

@espencer,
Interesting – we’ve had a lot of issues in this area but I haven’t seen it manifest like that I don’t think. The fact that it works then stops working makes me wonder if something that is repeatedly set or sent gets blocked.

Have you had this issue on any other site? Can you try lowering Shields and testing to see whether or not you get the same results?

I haven’t had the issue on any other site…but I haven’t tried a video call elsewhere. I’ll try it on Roundee.io today and see how it goes.

Also, I’ll retest Google today. In the autoplay section I allowed hangouts.google.com, but not https://hangouts.google.com. I’m not sure if the full address is required. I’ll test that as well.

OK, it seems that adding the https:// formats of the addresses for hangouts and meet made a difference. Calls today worked as expected.

The only issue I had was attempting to screenshare. When I would try to share my screen, I received an error. Don’t know if that is server-side or local, but i couldn’t get it to share.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.