Google account does not stay signed in

Description of the issue:
Google account keeps getting logged out even if I’m signed in on one tab and click a link to open a google resource that triggers another tab that needs to be signed in (e.g. in a google meet mtg, then clicking a link in chat that opens a google oc)

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Sign in with google account
  2. Be in google meet meeting
  3. Click a link to a google doc in chat that opens a new tab.

Expected result: I’m still logged in with same google account and can access the doc
Actual result: I’m prompted to sign in by google, with my account marked as “Signed out”

Alternatively:

1. Sign into google service (e.g. google calendar)
  2. Go to your email app and click a link to a protected resource in a different google service (e.g. google sheets)

Expected result: I’m still logged in with same google account and can access the doc
Actual result: I’m prompted to sign in by google, with my account marked as “Signed out”

Reproduces how often:
Consistently. I can’t figure out what’s causing it.

Brave Build and Version(ex., "Brave Beta, v1.14.73):
Brave Beta 1.26.47 on MacOS Big Sur

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):
Yes

Additional Information:
Not sure if it’s relevant, but i have multiple user profiles in my setup.

1 Like

Hi @tmchow,

Can you go to brave://settings/shields (enter this into your address bar) and let me know your default Shield settings (screenshots are welcomed)?

Can you also send a screenshot of your Shields panel while on e.g. google calendar and/or google sheets?

1 Like

@Aa-ron sure thing:

Google sheets:

Google Calendar:

@Aa-ron interestingly, in my other profile (the first one I added to Brave, which also has a corresponding google account i use it with) seems to stay signed in across tabs and time, not like my second profile and second google account.

Both these google accounts are gsuite accounts, although in different domains.

Do you have any extensions installed?
Do you have ‘clear data on exit’ enabled? (brave://settings/clearBrowserData)

2 Likes

@Aa-ron One extra bit of info. I noticed that yesterday as I was on a tab with a google service (i think it was google docs), I was signed out suddenly while on that tab. So it’s not only when clicking links to new tabs. This doesn’t happen at all in chrome.

Yes. These 3: 1Password, Dashlane and Coda

Nope.

@Aa-ron any ideas on this? This is hugely disruptive, and making it nearly impossible to use since this profile is used for work and we use google services across the board. Doing things like copying a google sheet (which opens a new tab) fails because i’m signed out in that tab.

Additional info: This seems to just have happened with LinkedIn as well. I was signed in on one tab, and went to another tab clicking on a linkedin profile link. New tab opened and i was prompted to sign in again.

Dig some digging on this and it may be the Dashlane extension that’s causing this for some reason. I changed it’s permissions of the extension to “When you click the extension” and I seem to be staying signed in so far in my quick tests. I’ll keep monitoring.

Hi @tmchow,
Glad you found the culprit. If you have any further issues, please let us know.