Gmail links all 'missing pages'

Vast majority of links in Gmail emails result in ‘missing page’ wayback machine offers

In the past week or so Brave has begun failing to open links in Gmail messages, giving the missing page message despite the easily verifiable check that all links exist and are working in other browsers.

I assumed that this was due to some security setting, but the error persists with shields down, and with adblocker extensions (uBlockOrigin and Privacy Badger) off - the error does not occur in other browsers (Chrome, Firefox) even with these extensions on).

I cannot get Brave to process many email messages with external links; I assume I am missing some security setting that is making Brave overly aggressive…?

Version 1.22.72 Chromium: 89.0.4389.128 (Official Build) (64-bit) on the Windows machine I am on at the moment, a Linux desktop with latest version is experiencing the same problem.

1 Like

Hi @jtisdall
Welcome to the Brave Community!
Have your tried to reset the browser?
You can follow this guide https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017903152-How-do-I-reset-Brave-settings-to-default-
or
uninstall & re-install the browser again!
I think you have mismatched some security settings!
All the best! :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

OK… I’d rather try to solve the possibly mismatched settings first if possible. I’ll continue testing but if nothing else turns up I will do a reset.

I just noticed that it is probably not security, but something odd - clicking some email links gets a missing page-wayback machine error - but if I copy and paste the link into Brave - it works.

try to use incognito!
if incognito works then you might have done something in your settings!

Hmmm. Thanks. Incognito works. Now to try and figure out what is causing this…

Could also be a misbehaving extension…

Solved - it was indeed a misbehaving extension, ClearURLs in case anyone else runs into this problem.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.