Gmail constantly refreshes itself since recent Brave update

Description of the issue:
Two to three weeks ago, I updated Brave to the newest version on my Mac. Ever since, my Gmail tab refreshes itself every few seconds. It’s literally unusable (I tried and failed tonight just to select two messages and delete them, but it refreshed before I could finish). All my other tabs are fine.

Gmail is stable in Firefox on two laptops, so I don’t think it’s Gmail (and if it were, I think we’d be hearing a ton of screaming about it). I’ve tried reinstalling Brave, which worked briefly until something set the behavior off again. Sometimes restarting the browser helps, and sometimes not. Same with rebooting the computer.

I’m pretty sure there was another Brave update since, and I was really hoping it was going to fix the problem, but it has not.

I finally gave up and started Firefox out of desperation, just for Gmail.

Anyone else seeing anything like this? Or have any idea how to fix it?

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Install Brave on macOS
  2. Load Gmail.
  3. Wait 15-20 seconds

Expected result:

Gmail refreshes so often it’s literally unusable.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.44.112 Chromium: 106.0.5249.119 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Additional Information:

I’m running macOS Big Sur 11.6 and Firefox 106.0.1

Hello @SaphiraBlue

Please accept my apologies for this inconvenience you’ve been having with Gmail refreshing constantly on Brave.

Can you try disabling Hardware Acceleration in settings to see if this resolves the issue? You’ll find this in Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration

Also, try opening your main profile in private and guest mode to see if the issue persist? If the issue does not happen, try disabling your extensions to see if this is the cause of the issue.

1. On your computer, open Brave.
  2. At the top right, click Menu → More tools → Extensions.
  3. On to the extension you want to remove, click Remove.
  4. Confirm by clicking Remove.

Let me know if that works.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.