General feedback and suggestions

I’ve primarily been using Brave on Linux, first on Mint, and later on Manjaro. It’s been on and off for some time because it is not entirely ready for me to be my main browser. I’ve mainly been using Chromium and/or Vivaldi. I don’t really have new implementations I want, just a bit of polishing and fleshing out of current stuff in the browser.

Bookmarks tab

• Favicons and text. I like having favicons in my tab, but I also like having text - for SOME of my bookmarks. The problem right now is that it is either text for all of your bookmarks or none. Both Vivaldi and Chromium just let’s you add text if you want, so if you leave the description empty, no text will be shown.

• Visual feedback. When rearranging bookmarks both in maps and just in the tab there is no visual feedback where they are being placed. Both Vivaldi and Chromium shows a horizontal line (or vertical in maps) to show where your current bookmark is being placed. It is a tad annoying having to guess and find a sweetspot every time.

• Favicon bug? Not all favicons load in Brave. Tried it on a few systems, also a Windows computer. Whereas the same favicons load in both Vivaldi and Chromium.

Dashboard
Time to get dirty.

• Background/Pictures. More, more and more options. Adding your own photo as a background would be first on the list. And then adding the option to let Brave pick a picture from a certain map. Basically what is in the browser now, but just with custom pictures. And if it is possible to add the text as well so people can download bundles of pictures with links like the “Picture by Bob Bobman”.

• Brave stats. I am talking about Trackers blocked, Ads blocked etc. It would be cool if we could get the option to change the colours of the text, but also adding a box behind it, choosing whether it is light or dark, and transparent or solid. Perhaps choosing the opacity instead. Another thing would be position and size (more on that a bit further down in this section).

• Shortcuts. The 6 shortcuts that Brave automatically generates. Let us add our own sites to it and custom thumbnails, kinda like Vivaldi does. Editing the sizes of the shortcuts, position and number of rows. And of course turning it on and off that Brave adds the most visited sites. Since some people might like that it adds stuff. I prefer adding it all myself.

• Clock. Just an option to turn it off and on.

Colours: Add a wheel/let us use colour codes.
Sizes: Small, medium, large, supersize (like with the toolbar and ui option)
Position: Top left, center left, bottom left, center top, center, center bottom, top right, center right, bottom right.

Spell checker

• Scandinavian languages!

Dark theme

• I know you’ve been bugged about this multiple times, so I won’t say anything more than that.

THE END

Keep up the great work! I am pretty sure Brave will be my main browser in the very near future! I wish I could code so I could help out with the development. I can help out with the spell checking thing for Danish though.

(Not sure if it is a bug or just not added but in my panel/taskbar, there is not a Brave logo when it is active. My browser is from AUR though, so that might be it, just thought I’d mention it.)

Thanks for taking up your time to write this feedback @officernice. I’m really appreciate it. :slight_smile:

-Bookmarks

Temporary workaround is by leaving single space as bookmark title. :slight_smile: An issue logged for this here https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/2972

Is this for imported bookmarks or bookmark that created on Brave? There’s an issue logged for favicon that not showing for imported bookmark/s.

Visiting those bookmark, AFAIK, should load the favicon.

And in general, some Bookmarks related issue will be fixed with Brave 1.0, coming later this year. Since Brave 1.0 will inherit Chromium’s bookmarks feature.

Dashboard

Issues also logged for this. Here https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/7159 and this one https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/5305

It may will be added after v1.0. More info https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/7742

Spell checker + Dark theme
More support for spell checker may come to Brave 1.0. And for dark theme too. :slight_smile:

Also cc @rossmoody on this. :slight_smile:

I hope I don’t missed things,
Thank you,
:slight_smile:

i think they should fix the issue with brave shutting down whenever you click a tab and it happens at random times

@eljuno Really appreciate the ping. This insight is hugely helpful and it means a lot that you took the time to write it. @officernice.

I’m gonna be relatively candid here. I agree with all the feedback here but it’s unlikely we will address these specific concerns before the core fork. Almost all of them will be resolved automatically with that release.

A few notes in particular I’d like to point out to you being personally helpful to me though is:

Background/Pictures . More, more and more options. Adding your own photo as a background would be first on the list. And then adding the option to let Brave pick a picture from a certain map. Basically what is in the browser now, but just with custom pictures. And if it is possible to add the text as well so people can download bundles of pictures with links like the “Picture by Bob Bobman”.

I’m iterating new tab styling and functionality and this feedback will go directly into V1 considerations.

Brave stats . I am talking about Trackers blocked, Ads blocked etc. It would be cool if we could get the option to change the colours of the text, but also adding a box behind it, choosing whether it is light or dark, and transparent or solid. Perhaps choosing the opacity instead. Another thing would be position and size (more on that a bit further down in this section).

It is yet to be resolved, but some of this aesthetic personalization might become more apparent with the introduction of themes.

Dark theme will be done in Core.

Thanks again.

*Initial comment of this was from wrong account. Reposting as Ross.

@eljuno @rossmoody Thank you very much for the feedback. It really does makes me smile that this is a community, and it really makes me want to use Brave a lot more! :slight_smile:

On the favicon bug. It is not imported bookmarks. And I have tried visiting them, deleting them and making them again, it still does not work.

One thing I forgot to mention: And this might just be me who has overseen it. Is there a way I can have the “Other bookmarks” map show in the right side of my bookmarks bar like Chromium?

I hope you all are having a great weekend and the weather isn’t melting you like it is melting me!

I think this will also available at brave-core. But an issue logged for the current Brave here https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/3145

Maybe just try to hide-unhide bookmarks bar (Ctrl+Shift+B)? It help me to load the favicon if it not showing after start-up.

Also cc @Mattches for additional help. (Re: favicon not showing for bookmarks)

Thank you,
:blush:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.