General Accessibility Fixes

Please label all buttons and controls with appropriiate labels and/or ARIA roles. Brave Desktop Version 1.14.84 Chromium: 85.0.4183.121 (Official Build) (64-bit) macOS 10.14.6.

Screen readers need information to describe the nature of controls. Some of that comes for free with native widgets and text labels, but graphical controls or non-native widgets need labels, control types and states to be conveyed through the accessibility APIs of the various OSs. Chrome/Chromium have support for this.

Notable examples: the switches on the Rewards page are completely unusable, because there’s no way to identify their state. And the toolbar buttons for many installed default extensions are unlabelled (are announced just as “button”).

You can use a screen reader to test for free. Windows has Narrator; the Mac has VoiceOver. I can’t speak confidently about Linux because I only use it in text-mode these days (I’d love to feel good about Linux desktops, but so far I’ve been fairly disenchanted). Orca is GNOME’s screen reader.

Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.