Full backup of BRAVE browser data

Hi all.
I consulted all the topics on the subject but, most often, these are questions related to problems of recovery of BATs after a computer crash or transfer from one computer to another…

When I used the FI**FOX browser, I saved the entire “Profile” directory. It was already long.
For BRAVE, I back up the entire “User Data” directory. It’s extremely long.

My question is to know if one of you could tell me a method to save all BRAVE data (Passwords, favorites, BATs…) to prevent a problem.
OS: Windows 10 or 11 but the problem also arises for Android.

Best regards,
SeanBx

1 Like

Hello there @SeanBx to keep a backup for your browsing data across devices, you can initiate a sync chain by using Brave Sync. This feature allows you to synchronize your browsing data across all of your devices. This way, you have access to the same bookmarks, browsing history and other data regardless of which device you are using.

Through sync you will be able to keep a backup of the following data Apps, Bookmarks, Extensions, History, Settings, Theme, Reading list, Open tabs, Passwords, Addresses and more For more information check our Sync FAQ https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/articles/360059793111

However, if you would like to keep your BAT from getting lost due to reinstalling, among other issues, you will have to create a custodial account wallet with one of the approved providers. If you would like to verify your Wallet please go to brave://rewards/#verify and choose one of the account providers.

If you have other concerns, please let me know.

Hi @Kevin_cc.
Thank you very much for those explanations. I will try Brave Sync.
I didn’t know what it was for. Now I know thanks to you.
Best regards,
SeanBx

1 Like

@SeanBx Just a FYI. Sync code changes daily, so if you do this it will be while you have multiple devices or if you’re simply transferring over on the same day. The safest way to do backup of your passwords would be to go to brave://settings/passwords and choose to Export them. The same is true of Bookmarks, which can be done by going to brave://bookmarks/ and choosing to Export from the hamburger menu on the top right.

Beyond that, if you do backup your entire \brave-browser location, it will hold all of your extensions, bookmarks, history, etc up to that point. It often also retains the BAT balance you had at that point (assuming unverified. If Verified you don’t need to worry as it will be in your Uphold/Gemini account). What WOULD NOT be saved with this method is your passwords.

But yeah, Sync is best for all things except Rewards, just so long as you’re not relying on it as a permanent backup and you recognize the risks. To copy a warning from the developers:

Warning: Brave does not officially support using the Sync code as a backup and you should not rely on this continuing to work in to the future. Use the export functionality in bookmarks and the password manager instead.

2 Likes

@ Saoiray
Well understood.
Thank you very much for these good tips.
And thanks to @Mattches for allowing me to post in the forum.

Best regards,
SeanBx.

@SeanBx my pleasure. If you have any other issues or concerns, please let me know or open a new community post so one member from our team or the community can help you.

Regards. :lion:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.