"fs-repo-10-to-11" cannot be opened error message

When launching Brave Version 1.29.51 Chromium: 92.0.4515.131 (Official Build) beta (x86_64)
I receive a macOS 10.15.7 (19H1323) System message saying:
“fs-repo-10-to-11” cannot be opened because the developer can not be verified.

I am running macOS Catalina 10.15.7 on an iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)

The message offers two choices: “Move to Trash” or “Cancel”. When I click Move to Trash, I am told that the file could not be moved to Trash and to move it manually. When I search for the file, I can not locate it.

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 5.19.07 PM

1 Like

Same exact issue here. Possibly something to do with IPFS?

1 Like

Me too. Every open or every new profile.

This is definitely related to IPFS.

Apparently, IPFS is attempting to automatically run a migration tool from inside Brave, which, by itself, is not an issue. It does the download correctly, which will be inside ~/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser — you’ll see a dozen or so directories with randomly generated lowercase names such as oofiananboodjbbmdelgdommihjbkfag (they’re always 32 characters long).

Inside one of these will be the fs-repo-10-to-11 application. If you’re comfortable using command-line utilities, you can do a find . -name fs-repo-10-to-11 -print to check in which one of them it was (temporarily) downloaded. Also, if you wish, you can manually remove it from the command line (rm -rf oofiananboodjbbmdelgdommihjbkfag — replace with the correct directory name, of course!!)

A few things should be apparent with the fs-repo-10-to-11:

• It’s clearly an executable (run file fs-repo-10-to-11 to identify it)
  • However, it doesn’t run because the appropriate flags are not set (do a chmod +x fs-repo-10-to-11) and it’s quarantined (to un-quarantine it, run xattr -d com.apple.quarantine fs-repo-10-to-11)
  • It is properly signed, as verified with codesign -dv fs-repo-10-to-11

I believe that it refuses to run exactly because of not having the execute flag set and getting quarantined automatically by Brave. This might be the intended behaviour, though; or the IPFS team may have introduced a bug on that migration tool at some point, thus the weird error.

I’m also running a local IPFS node, and I’ve also experienced instabilities with it. Thus, it’s possible that the issue is not related to Browse at all, but to the IPFS network. On the other hand, the OP is from early August, and today is the first day I got the same error — in my case, Brave + IPFS have been running flawlessly up to today.

1 Like

Same issue. Alert about fs-repo-10-to-11 appears on every restart of Brave.