Fresh install keeps crashing

Description of the Issue
I’ve been using the Dev version without issue, but right away after installing the new beta version and it keeps crashing. Someone else posted a similar/same issue on the BATproject subreddit in the beta post (https://www.reddit.com/r/BATProject/comments/9jg786/blog_beta_release_of_redesigned_brave_desktop/e6rfgol/).

When I reopen after the crash it displays this message about API keys missing. I realized this is actually unrelated to the crashing but displays on startup if it opens to a new tab page.

Turning Brave Rewards off seems to fix the crashing.

Reproduces how frequently?
With Brave Rewards on, it crashes if you blink, take a breath, the day ends in y, etc. I even tried reinstalling it and it did it again.

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro with latest Microsoft updates (1803)

3 Likes

@JoshEllingson, we’re definitely aware of the issue.
We apologize for the inconvenience. There are a couple of issues about it floating around:

Crashes are serious business and I can assure you that the dev team is working on pushing out a patch for this as soon as possible.

For now I’d recommend keeping Rewards disabled if that stopped the crashing. However, if you have Rewards disabled and it starts crashing on you, definitely tell us about it. We appreciate you reaching out about this.

EDIT: Do the steps to reproduce seen here match what you were doing when the browser first started crashing?

2 Likes

@Mattches you nailed it. I should have searched after the post mentioned turning off Brave Rewards (should have figured it was known). I’ll happily wait for a fix. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry to say but having Rewards disabled still causes “Brave api keys are missing. Some functionality of brave will be disabled” to show up on every start up of Brave which was a clean install on Windows7 x64 which imported my Chrome data and into which I have installed Chrome extensions.

That’s expected for now @fedup. See Brave API keys missing - cant find any help on how to fix it for reference.

Thanks
:slightly_smiling_face:

Ok that I can put up with however I have a laptop which I normally use Hibernateion or Sleep on. I hibernate the Windows10 Pro at night and I have discovered that when I resume from hibernation I discovered that Brave had crashed. When I started up Brave it asked me if I wanted to restore the crashed tabs. I do not know if the same thing happens under sleep as well. This is a sore point because I use a password manager w 2FA that is session only so if the browser shuts down I have to reauthenticate all over again.

having the same issue. glad its being worked on!

cheers

Going to have to revert back to Chrome here on this laptop. Brave beta can not handle hibernation or sleep properly at least under Windows10 Pro. In both instance when the computer comes out of hibernation or sleep Brave is closed already aka it has crashed. It allows resuming the existing windows but in my case it still requires me to reauthenticate again.

Thanks for the reports. There is an issue already logged for this and will be investigated for root cause. You can track the issue here

@fedup @Javin could you guys copy the crash id’s from chrome://crashes and paste it here that will help in investigating the root cause of the issue

1 Like

In my case both with hibernation and sleep resume Brave is already closed when I come out of the mode. Only indication that there was someonething out of the ordinary was when I start Brave up again that I see a button in the upper right corner to reload the previously opened tabs. Should I see more of dialog box? I switched back to Chrome as my default browser on the laptop here and closed Brave down.

When you click the restore button you will get the session back. You can visit chrome://crashes irrespective of if you restore the crashed session or not you should be able to have the crash report ID’s. By default crash reporting is disabled but you can click on the Send now button which will initiate the upload of crash report. You will however have to restart the browser and reload the page for you to list the crash id’s. It would be super helpful if you can do this and share the crash id’s here. Will help us to narrow down the root cause

Local Crash ID 2b23bf70-1935-40a6-ae59-cc51d7954dbd
Crash report captured on Sunday, September 30, 2018 at 9:08:30 PM (upload requested by user, not yet uploaded)

Local Crash ID 192b218d-ca7c-4dab-96d2-1be4b030747c
Crash report captured on Sunday, September 30, 2018 at 12:59:08 PM (upload requested by user, not yet uploaded)

Local Crash ID 45084fdf-c380-4979-8ca5-8acd8fa47185
Crash report captured on Saturday, September 29, 2018 at 9:08:29 PM (upload requested by user, not yet uploaded)

Thanks for the details. Could you relaunch the browser and check what the uploaded crash id’s are? Also it would be good to enable Automatically send crash reports to Brave settings under Privacy so that any crash happens that would automatically send the reports

You should see something like this when the reports are uploaded.

Enabled crash reporting as well

Uploaded Crash Report ID 673696b0942d0f36 (Local Crash ID: 2b23bf70-1935-40a6-ae59-cc51d7954dbd)

Crash report captured on Sunday, September 30, 2018 at 9:08:30 PM, uploaded on Monday, October 1, 2018 at 9:58:39 AM

Provide additional details

Uploaded Crash Report ID 542fcfc073c0c8a0 (Local Crash ID: 192b218d-ca7c-4dab-96d2-1be4b030747c)

Crash report captured on Sunday, September 30, 2018 at 12:59:08 PM, uploaded on Monday, October 1, 2018 at 9:58:38 AM

Uploaded Crash Report ID a7c7c3ebfed9d830 (Local Crash ID: 45084fdf-c380-4979-8ca5-8acd8fa47185)

Crash report captured on Saturday, September 29, 2018 at 9:08:29 PM, uploaded on Monday, October 1, 2018 at 9:58:37 AM

3 Likes

Thanks i’ve added the crash reports to the issue.

1 Like