Frequent freezes since upgrade to 1.1.20

Since the upgrade to 1.1.20 I’m having frequent freezes of 10-20 seconds. Even right now typing in this sentence I’ve already been stopped four times. The task manager shows the browser process running at +90% for so long. It certainly looks like a performance bottleneck.

There is no obvious cause for the issue. It happens for all web sites at random times. All tabs freeze.

For me this is an evident showstopper. I’ll try to downgrade 1.0.1

Reproduction:

1. Upgrade to version 1.1.20
  2. Open a web site and browser around
  3. Freezing will occur

Expected result:
No freezing obviously :slight_smile:

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.1.20 Chromium: 79.0.3945.74 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

Running on Mint 19.2, Cinnamon desktop. Package is from the official Mint repository.

2 Likes

Downgrade to earlier version fixes the freezing issues. The installed release is now Version 1.0.1 Chromium: 78.0.3904.108 (Official Build) (64-bit)

For the downgrade to work the browser data must be cleared, the browser restarted and the tabs reloaded.

Alas, very same freezes for release 1.1.21. :confused:

Just had a try with the 1.1.22 release. The freezes still occur. However this time I have the impression it’s after a while. Whereas the previous versions immediately started freezing up.

The same thing is happening to me with 1.1.20 running on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Any part of the page that’s clickable you have to hover on for many seconds, and scrolling down it freezes about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way down the page. It does it whether or not I have hardware acceleration enabled, and I don’t sync Brave.

Edit - Dec 28, updated to 1.1.23 a few days ago, and it still randomly freezes. Sometimes scrolling, sometimes trying to run a video. It’ll stay frozen for maybe 20 seconds, then unfreeze.

Edit - January 14, updated to 1.1.42 and it’s worse if anything.

Confirming that this is also an issue after these last series of updates on macOS Catalina 10.15. This only started happening after I updated Brave a couple times when it prompted me to yesterday as I hadn’t for a while. I am now getting unpredictable freezes for around 5-10 seconds and then it’ll resume. Super frustrating. Not sure how a bug like this slips into the stable builds…

For anyone trying to fix their Brave Browser, use this for now

https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/releases/tag/v1.0.1

I’m having the freeze issue with Brave version 1.1.23, Ubuntu 19.10. I open Brave and get a white window, can’t close the Brave window then the whole desktop freezes, mouse works but nothing else on the desktop. I have to do a force shut down, restart computer, then open Brave and everything’s OK.

Anyone working on this?

I can confirm, I just upgraded to latest (1.3.115) on Ubuntu 18.04.4, and it started the random freezing again.

I’ve downgraded again to 1.0.1, but I am probably going to pull Firefox or Chromium out until this is patched, so I can keep a patched browser.

If there are any logs or other data that I can provide in order to assist, please let me know.

@TheHammeredOne,
Its most useful to enable automatic crash reporting – you can also go to brave://crashes and use the Send now link to send them manually.

Can you elaborate a bit on the issue? Does the browser freeze when launched, after some use, on a specific site or after performing a specific action?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.