For a privacy focused browser, it seems like the gemini exchange integration has too many permissions

Briefly describe your issue:
The Gemini exchange integration is requesting access to more than it needs.

permissions requested:
history:read, account:read, payments:send, payments:create, crypto:send, balances:read

history:read - why do you need my account history?

i can potentially see why the others are needed but some clarification of exactly why these permissions are requested would be nice. how do i know the browser isn’t taking my full account history and then selling that data? is there a log of what data is requested and why?

and if the browser has open access to sending payments and crypto, what’s stopping it from sending a transaction without my knowledge?

What Operating System and Brave version are you using (Menu --> About Brave)?
MacOS 12.3.1
v 1.37.116

Is your browser wallet currently verified? (yes/no)
yes

What date did you verify your wallet?
6/8/2022

Have you been able to successfully receive payments in the past?
yes

Are you using a VPN? (yes/no)
no

Are you in a supported region (see here for list of supported regions)?
yes

Ref. material:

Enhance Your Crypto Experience With Gemini Integrations:

Gemini Integration with Brave:

Gemini Account Verification:

Gemini Status:

Gemini info at Brave Help Center:

Supported regions for verifying Brave Rewards with a custodial wallet provider [June 9, 2022 - later updates are likely]:

NOTICE: New region restrictions on verifying Brave Rewards with Gemini [May 10, 2022]:

Changes to Brave Ads Regional Availability [January 14, 2022]:

Brave Wallet and BAT - @Aman_M writes:

You can separately buy/transfer/transact and swap BAT on Ethereum network in Brave wallet.

Regarding getting rewards BATs in Brave wallet, it is more due to KYC/AML issues but it is still possible via transfer from a custodian- Uphold/Gemini/BitFlyer.

New developments - Solana Network:

Brave Browser now Integrates with Solana Blockchain to Expand Web3 Access:

Brave partners with Solana to integrate it into the browser and make it the default for DApp support:

To show your account balance in the widgets.
Just because there is a permission to “read” the history of the account, that doesn’t mean it will read all your transactions.

And the rest, i mean, if you are receiving payments from Rewards, you clearly need that permissions…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.