First Party Cookies and Clearing Data

I just installed Brave for Android, I’m loving it so far, but there are a few things I’m confused about.

1. I prefer to have all cookies blocked by default and only enable them on a site-by-site basis.

But when I disable cookies in the settings, the only site option I see is to allow 3rd party cookies. I don’t want to do that. What I would like to do is only enable first-party cookies for certain sites. How can I do that?

2. I also read that Brave allows you to clear data on exit. But I can’t find a setting for that in the Android version. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Brave version: 1.0.52

Hi @Gihcfu57,

1. Brave on Android have no option to Block all cookies yet. The option for now is to Block 3rd party cookies which will allow 1st party cookies and Allow all cookies (by disable 3rd party cookies option). We have a request logged here
  1. This option also not yet available for Android. Currently only on desktop version under Preferences > Security > Private Data. A request logged for Android here

Thank you,
:slight_smile:

@eljuno

Thanks for your reply. But I definitely have the option to block all cookies. I’m just trying to figure out how to allow cookies for certain sites.

Thanks

Ah, my bad. :slight_smile: You can adjust your per site shields settings via Brave icon at top right. It’ll not affect other sites.

Thank you,
:slight_smile:

@eljuno

Thanks again for your reply. The screenshot below was taken with all cookies turned off in the settings. As you can see, the only option I have in the shield settings for that site is to block or unblock 3rd party cookies.

I don’t want to allow 3rd party cookies for any site, but I do want to allow first party cookies for some sites. That’s what I was referring to in my original post.

Thanks

@Dihcfu57, enable Block 3rd party cookies will allow 1st party cookies and block 3rd party cookies.

So if you have Cookies blocked via Settings > Site Settings, then enable Block 3rd party cookies via Brave icon per site basis, then I think it’s what you looking for.

Enable Cookies via Settings > Site Settings also will block 3rd party cookies and allow 1st party cookies. Unless you check Allow 3rd party cookies.

Issue shared above I think is to provide same setting like desktop version. cc @laurenwags for correction.

@eljuno

Right, enabling that option in the site settings (the one on the screenshot you linked) will enable first party cookies for all sites, while blocking third party cookies.

But that’s not what I’m looking for. I want to block all cookies, and only allow first party cookies on certain sites while never allowing third party cookies for any site.

I think there may be a communication mixup here, but I can’t really think of any other way to phrase it.

Thanks again for responding.

This is what I think you looking for @Dihcfu57 . It’ll block all cookies for all sites. And by enabling Block 3rd party cookies via Brave icon, it’ll enable 1st party cookies for that site. :slightly_smiling_face:

EDIT:
I thought it’s working. But just checked, it’s not working on my end. re: block all cookies and enable Block 3rd party cookies via Brave icon. I’m sorry, my bad. :sweat_smile:

@eljuno

I saw your edit. You’re right, it’s not working for me either. Is there something else I can do to make it work?

Thanks

Can anyone help? Is it possible to do this? (Disable all cookies, then allow only first party cookies on certain sites)

If not, is there an open issue requesting this feature? (which I’m shocked isn’t included or apparent, as it’s very important from a privacy perspective)

Thanks

Small data packets ensure that you do not have to log in to your social media account all the time, and they save a website’s shopping cart after closing the browser – they’re called cookies. But not all of them contribute to making surfing the internet easier – some cookies also have disadvantages. Therefore, it is advisable to change some basic settings in the browser and clear cookies from time to time.

https://discord.software/ https://adobereader.onl/ https://itunes.red/

@shelbyomi

I think it’s pretty clear that everyone in this topic knows what a cookie is, and the point of this topic revolves around their disadvantages.

I’m not sure what you were trying to say with your reply.

Well, not if you need it quickly. There is a request for finer script control on github, that’s all, and now where the dev’s are working “full power” on Brave Core / version 1.0, it’s unlikely that finer control over cookies (or scripts) will get built into the actual Brave.

By the way, I want this, too. I prefer the same settings as you do: Block everything that is not pure HTML, then allow not more than absolutely needed, even for the “first party”.

The slightly good news is that (AFAIU) Brave Core will have the ability to install add-ons for Chrome. I guess that some good cookie manager may exist for Chrome, I haven’t checked yet.

(Next obvious question: “When will Brave core be available?” :smiley: That is yet unknown. Wild guess: Maybe in a few months.)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.