Muon: 4.4.28
libchromiumcontent: 61.0.3163.100
V8: 6.1.534.41
Node.js: 7.9.0
Update Channel: Release
OS Platform: Microsoft Windows
OS Release: 10.0.15063
OS Architecture: x64

Hi everyone, I just heard about Brave recently from an infosec contact and decided to try it out myself. So far I love the feature set, but am having a rocky time getting started - mostly around bookmarks.

Bookmark issues

• First of all the import from Firefox function failed completely. The first time I got a prompt that FF must be closed, so I closed it. Then when nothing appeared to happen I tried again, after which I got a successful notification - but still no bookmarks. I closed/reopened the browser and repeated that same process with the same results. Ultimately I exported bookmarks from FF manually to HTML, and manually imported to Brave.
  • I’m missing the ability to expand/collapse folders in the bookmark manager
  • Reordering bookmarks on the bookmark toolbar is very difficult. They jump around sometimes in (apparently) unpredictable ways, sometimes ending up in other folders on the toolbar, so then I have to figure out where they ended up and try again to move them around.
  • I’m missing the ability to automatically sort bookmarks within folders by name (forward & reverse)
    *Favicons keep disappearing on the bookmarks toolbar. This is annoying when at least half of mine are favicon only. Examples:

I’ve spent an hour and a half trying to get my bookmark bar sorted the way I want, and am officially giving up for the night.

Other

• Sync - wish it included extensions and regular browser settings
  • When moving mouse across the browser the tab previews pop up so quickly it’s very jarring. Would be nice to have a delay on hover, so you have to hover for a second (or adjustable time) before the preview pops up.

Please let me know what additional information you need to troubleshoot, or if there are any known workarounds for the issues I’ve listed.

Thanks!!
Brian

there’s something wrong too with the url bar when i hover my mouse pointer over it.

Where are the bookmarks actually stored? I’d like to see how they’re laid out, if it’s possibly to edit them manually (text file? html? sqlite what’s the path?)

Is there a way to modify the theme? I prefer darker themes any time I have a choice…

And can we really not install additional extensions???

usage data is inside session-file-1.

theme modification is under consideration.

You can test extensions following the instruction by @sampson

Thanks for the info, just trying to understand the significance of “usage data” - can you explain? I’ve made a copy of mine and have been searching through it. If the bookmarks are stored there (maybe that’s why you mentioned it?) I’ve had enough search traffic that the file is littered with the word “bookmark” and I’m not finding anything useful…

I keep finding that bookmarks are missing, especially on the bookmark toolbar.
After realizing Evernote was missing (again), I pulled up the website, then dragged it from the address bar down to the bookmark bar. Done - bookmark created. I edited it to fix the name.
Now 5 minutes later - it’s gone.

What the heck is going on with the bookmarks?

Brave has great potential, but just isn’t ready to be my main browser yet.

I’ve kept Brave installed and fire it up from time to time in hopes that some of these issues have been addressed. I haven’t had time to tinker with bookmarks at all, but for what it’s worth, this version doesn’t feel so jumpy/schizo as the one I originally tried as I move between tabs or simply drag the mouse across the top of the screen. I might be inclined to use it more often…

Brave: 0.19.80
rev: 7d07299a5d462d3c9ae32cfbfbe7296cc57c89b9
Muon: 4.5.13
libchromiumcontent: 62.0.3202.75
V8: 6.2.414.36
Node.js: 7.9.0
Update Channel: Release
OS Platform: Microsoft Windows
OS Release: 10.0.16299
OS Architecture: x64

Hi there,

If you have some time, would you please try with the latest beta and see if your issues are resolved?

Before trying, please do not forget to create a back up of the profile data folder :smile:

Thanks!

It feels more stable - and I appreciate the “time to wait before previewing a tab” setting. But it imported 0 bookmarks again from Firefox.

There’s no option to import from Brave, so I’m going to attempt sync to see if I can bring over bookmarks that way - then see what’s different about managing them.

Another observation - this is back in the 0.19.80 version - my pinned tab for my webmail provider has disappeared. I keep Fastmail pinned (I prefer one for my inbox, and a second for my calendar, but Brave often “loses” one completely), and I keep another pinned tab for Hootsuite. Fastmail is completely gone now, only Hootsuite is pinned.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.